EFE GEAR CLUSTER LENGTH

skelly

12 hours ago, skelly said:

Hi.

I wonder if anyone can tell me the width of the gear clusters as fitted to the input shaft please ?

My katana one measures 111.5mm

My EFE one measures 112.5mm

Is 112.5mm correct or has it been pressed together wrong ?

Cheers.

Skel.

I,ve just measured 2 ET sets and they are both 111.5mm.............

Don't seam to have an EFE one handy at the moment

I assume you have both shafts for the EFE set ? Have you tried them in the cases ?

• Like 1

@coombehouse

I'm not sure about welding it on.

I think it would create more problems meself.

Anyhow. Just had me shaft in me mates press. Had 8 tonns on it to shove the gear on a bit further and BANG...

It went too far even though I used a stop.

So now I am feeling very very annoyed.

And have to pull the gear off and start again or get another input shaft assembly.

I'm in a really bad mood now...

2 minutes ago, coombehouse said:

Who is they & why did they stop. I have 2 gear assemblies. One in bike & a spare set. Both have been welded. Never had a problem though back in the day with big motors & nitrous 2nd gear spinning was always an issue. What has changed or have all got older & slower. I know I have.

Read it some were cant remember where TBH .....

29 minutes ago, skelly said:

@coombehouse

I'm not sure about welding it on.

I think it would create more problems meself.

Anyhow. Just had me shaft in me mates press. Had 8 tonns on it to shove the gear on a bit further and BANG...

It went too far even though I used a stop.

So now I am feeling very very annoyed.

And have to pull the gear off and start again or get another input shaft assembly.

I'm in a really bad mood now...

2nd gear goes up to a shoulder on the shaft think..?...if its just the gear that's #uc#ed you can get a deal from Robinsons on a new one.............

http://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/shop/online-store/suzuki-parts-finder/gsx/gsx1100efe/e-f-g-1984-1986.htm?vehicle_id=25#!gsx1100efetrans

Edited by Duckndive
Added link
  • Like 1
49 minutes ago, Duckndive said:

Does your press not have the narrow / thin plate,s that you can put behind the gear and press on the shaft to move it

i have complete gearboxes if your desperate , but poss not cheapest solution 

The press I was using didn't have a thin plate to put under 5th drive gear.

Im gona machine a boss to go over the end of the shaft that is the correct thickness to give me the overall size I need when its pressed again.

I'm just cautious that its not recomended to move these gears too much.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Duckndive said:

Does your press not have the narrow / thin plate,s that you can put behind the gear and press on the shaft to move it

i have complete gearboxes if your desperate , but poss not cheapest solution 

The press I was using didn't have a thin plate to put under 5th drive gear.

Im gona machine a boss to go over the end of the shaft that is the correct thickness to give me the overall size I need when its pressed again.

I'm just cautious that its not recomended to move these gears too much.

Just noticed something else.

My original katana input shaft is hollow all the way through which means that oil will be pumped all the way through and come out inside the clutch.

The efe input shaft is solid at the clutch end which means that oil will be pumped out of the small holes along the shaft only.

In my mind this is better for the gears and better for overall oil pressure around the head etc.

However..

Will it cause a clutch problem due to less oil going all the way through the shaft and out the clutch end ?

12 hours ago, skelly said:

Just noticed something else.

My original katana input shaft is hollow all the way through which means that oil will be pumped all the way through and come out inside the clutch.

The efe input shaft is solid at the clutch end which means that oil will be pumped out of the small holes along the shaft only.

In my mind this is better for the gears and better for overall oil pressure around the head etc.

However..

Will it cause a clutch problem due to less oil going all the way through the shaft and out the clutch end ?

think the efe shaft has an alloy blank in the end you can punch out

EFE is a the newer development - they obviously worked out that the cllutch didn't need the extra oil the Kat shaft was delivering.

2nd gear welding is a good idea - when I put mine together, one box had spun and friction welded 2nd  (couldn't get it off with my press), the other had spun 2nd and it came off far too easily...

Apparently there should be an alloy bung in the end of the katana input shaft, so the effect is the same for both engines.

Also the oil flow schematic does not show oil flowing out the end of the input shaft, so I'm happy to use the EFE one.

I'm not going to weld my 2nd gear to the shaft.

firstly because it is f*****g tight, it took 8.5 tonnes pressure to move it 1.15mm

Secondly, I'm not running a turbo or nitrous or mad power outputs, if I get 150 HP I'll be surprised.

I just can't justify it..

However I totally get it on high output engines.

(you watch, I'll be back on here next year,, 2nd gear has spun etc lmao)

Cheers.

Skel

16 hours ago, Gammaboy said:

2nd gear welding is a good idea - when I put mine together, one box had spun and friction welded 2nd  (couldn't get it off with my press), the other had spun 2nd and it came off far too easily...

I guess I was just lucky that 250bhp of turbo abuse and Air-shifting dint move mine then .....B| 

On 12/09/2016 at 0:37 PM, coombehouse said:

I guess you won't be using a billet back plate on the clutch basket either?

Not got to the clutch yet.

The word is that a billet backplate is not really needed with straight cut primaries.

However, You never know.

My first concern is getting the cases together and I'm still struggling with this stupid input shaft.

Can any of you post a photo of a welded 2nd gear plz ?

Would be interesting to see where and how much etc.

Cheers.

Skel