After some  help please. Took the carbs off bike tonight (stood for months after buying it as a non runner) On the top of the carbs there are 4 plastic diaphragm covers. Each one is held on by 2 allen screws. Each one also has a rubber cap covering a short stalk. (I'm guessing this is where you would plug balancing gauges???) Any way one of the 'stalks' is snapped off and a second has no rubber. My question is, are these supposed to be sealed? (to keep vacuum) When i bought the bike the last owner said it would not start possibly due to sucking air in?? Im hoping I've found the cause in this snapped off pipe. Second question, if this is the cause, where would i find a diaphragm cover?? Ive tried the usual, Eblag ect, but dealers seem only to want the sell the whole bank of 4 carbs. Ill post some pics when i get a chance. Thanks in advance.

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

Edited by skunkrider2
adding photos

I've repaired these before, if your super gentle and carful, you can drill the Bakelite top enough to slip short piece 3/16" of flared copper brake hose(car shite) into hole and bond it in there.The flared end is under neath and you can bond it in there. You will need to countersink the underside of the carb top, with say  1/4" drill bit by hand only. 

It works a treat and costs pennies to do. 

Good luck.

3 minutes ago, Fula28 said:

I've repaired these before, if your super gentle and carful, you can drill the Bakelite top enough to slip short piece 3/16" of flared copper brake hose(car shite) into hole and bond it in there.The flared end is under neath and you can bond it in there. You will need to countersink the underside of the carb top, with say  1/4" drill bit by hand only. 

It works a treat and costs pennies to do. 

Good luck.

Thanks for that, are these supposed to be sealed? i.e. would it cause problems starting the way they are? (Still trying to find out if this was the non starting issue when i bought the bike last year) 

I've uesd the outer bit of a rivet to do the same. Just tapped the inner bit out and bingo. But do countersink on under side like skunkrider2 says. 

I used a rubber bung off daughters pen to seal it until she demanded it back.  Apparently the blue tongue didn't go well  with her pink shoes! 

Cant please the kids nowadays.

1467935638748185181093.jpg

Edited by Madb
Spelling again!
  • Like 2

Well after spending 10 year or so standing, i blocked the holes with blue tac (was all i had to hand) put the carbs back on, charged battery and hit the button. She fired!!! Ran for the amount of fuel in the bowls. So new diaphragm cover ordered (didn't want to risk drilling) and for £24.00 wasn't worth it. (melted starter relay fuse into holder in process, so ordered one of those too) So just a quick thanks to Captain Chaos for the invaluable web site!!! Second hand carb tops are like rocking horse shit??  £30.00 form USA & £15.00 postage for a used one??? Ehhhh no thanks.

• Like 1