Passed the MOT once i got there!!

Sheep

Woohoo,the old girl just went through her first MOT in ages and since i have rebuilt her.

This was the first time i have ridden the bike too which is why the ride to the test was a bit of a gamble.I knew the carbs needed setting up but i couldn't do this until it was road legal.

Anyhoo,the trip there and back was accompanied with much spitting in the  carbs and a surging of the motor.It would bog down and if i tried to accelerate hard i would get a slight rise in acceleration accompanied by what sounds like airbox roar (i have pod filters)It was almost like i was running out of fuel and it felt very much like the points going bad on an old car.I am hoping its just the carbs so i just took them off,bench synced them again (no real change from last time) and put the original main jets in as i had replaced them with some off that auction site although their machined shape was different to the genuine article.I should know better.While i was in there i noticed two of the main jet tubes were loose so that wont help.

The plugs looked sooty when i got home with only number 4 having the faintest touch of dark brown.

Anybody have any ideas/advice before i take her out again??

While i am at it what is the correct amount of turns out for the idle screw? and could a slipped cam chain give similar problems?

Just been through that myself - the fuel line was snagged - part compressed, and given it's running a little lean on the pilots already then the carbs snarl and spit on cracked throttle, and then surge as it comes onto needle, and then bog on the main as I over egg the pudding with the loud handle when the bike isn't pulling. All sorted when I unsnagged the fuel line - except for the lean pilot circuit.

I have routed the lines as clean as possible Solcambs.What i have noticed since i put them back on (no road test) is when i revved it up with no filters on the exhaust spat and popped until i remembered to turn on the pingle.it did improve lol...It revs with filters on and no load nice and freely.Im hoping the road test tomoz will see some different results.

I too had a 1135 EF, stock cams, with rs36 separate k&n filters with a aftermarket exhaust system and micron Gp damper and limited damping  .  

From what I remember...

Is that the recommendations by mikinu regarding jetsize en settings should give you a good driveable bike.  Not perfect but very close. 

I too bench synced them using the "drill slide" method and they where spot on.

I would suggest to set them up as per guide and enjoy. 

Thats the one although i took my mates advice and nicked/borrowed a handful of those thin coffee stirrers you get in fancy coffee places..not that i go in them you understand...

Once the rain stops i will try again to see if i have made any improvements.

Ok,sit rep,

After tightening the needle tubes last night and putting the original mains in i took the bike out again and straight away i had no power and a very lumpy motor although it started good.I rode 200 yards and returned to find #1 downpipe cool.Pulling the plug found it to be wet...and #2 was the same.I replaced with dry plugs and tried again.Once i got onto a good road i found it much better with no coughing or spluttering.An A road blast and back left the plugs dry and clean.Maybe a slight touch of grey so i gave the mixture screws another 1/4 turn out.They are now 1/2 turn out from fully in.There were two things i did notice before the adjustment was the low speed cruising was a little lumpy and although the accelerator pumped seemed to work it was hampered by the clutch as it turns out it is slipping.(either that or i am spinning the rear wheel,but i doubt it lol)..I know it pulses as you pull away from standstill and it has been standing with old oil before i had it,

So,i am getting somewhere at last.......