Time to start cleaning again

p4ddy

Decided to get the dremmel out and wire brush attachments and start cleaning up the old head. The exhaust valve need the thing at full speed and a fair length of time but I've not done the 2 you see. Still not sure what to do about the broken exhaust ports

p

Edited by p4ddy
  • Like 1

It's the valve seats themselves that are the critical area. Are you planning to strip the valves out and inspect the valves and seat contact surfaces? Be careful with the dremel that you don't take anything off the flat mating surfaces of the head around and between the valves. The broken exhaust port needs to be ally welded.

I wasn't planning on touching the valve seats. I'm only cleaning up the faces with soft wire brush attachments. The other head is of a later slingshot (m i think) which is identical other that 1mm larger inlet valves and that's in good nik but i'm reusing my old one because i know it works. I lapped the valves on the new one and i've had endless starting and running issues, so i plan on doing as little as poss to this head to ovoid anything i 'may' have fucked up before. I've ultrasonically cleaned the carbs and i have a set of dyna coils to fit (when my mate pulls his finger out and looks for them). The barrels are good and still have all the cross hatch glaze busting marks, pistons and rings all spot on.

Thanks Noel, i'm a bit nervous of doing it as i've not touched a welder in 21yrs and that was to weld my lc centre stand together. If i had the broken bits it would be much easier but it's just too bloody great chunks missing. I had to use two gaskets to stop it blowing but if i can get it tixed whilst it's off it'll be great.

i can get it done p4ddy but you would have to post it or get it to brands hatch for the weekend or is it the following w.end bsb ? and it,s ok to use 2 gasket,s there was a eng on g.bay for $150 use it for spares ........:P

Iam up next weekend to brands Dave, have to meet up for a beer if you fancy;)

I got some ally welding done on a set of crank cases by a local engineering company a couple of years ago and it cost me £30. Worth phoning around to find out what it would cost. Doesn't cost anything to find out.

that's a bargain compared to what the local shop here wanted to ask me....and the bike was completely assembled. so all that work for just a small alu welde of about 4 inches he was asking 150+

i think they were trying to con me

It's the valve seats themselves that are the critical area. Are you planning to strip the valves out and inspect the valves and seat contact surfaces? Be careful with the dremel that you don't take anything off the flat mating surfaces of the head around and between the valves. The broken exhaust port needs to be ally welded.

it's is worth checking out the valves indeed as you already have everything disassembled