GSX750 ET 1982

Can anyone recommend a good auto electrician in Cambridgeshire? My charging system is  not charging the battery and I want someone to test the system to confirm if its the rectifier or generator? Thanks 

If you have a multimeter its a 5 minute DIY test. put leads across battery at idle and at above 3500rpm on 20v DC scale - should show 12.3-12.7v at idle and over 14.0v but lower than 14.7v at higher rpm. That'll show if regulator is doing its thing. Then swap the multimeter to read 100v AC scale and find 3No. yellow wires out of alt. - call them A, B & C. Apply leads to A&B, then B&C and then C&A - should see 60-80v AC on each if alt. is working (its 3 phase AC output) If yours doesn't have 3 yellow wires look for green/white, white/blue and yellow - these are the same as the yellows and should have same results. Early Suzuki electrics are pants and i'd almost guarantee it'll be the RR is fubar'd. Search for RR upgrade threads on OSS!

also check the condition on the 3 wires from the geny, (next to the battery)  ive seen them get hot and melt the wires causing a short, had to replace the connectors on a few bikes and not long done my 1100ET with melted/corroded connectors. 

20240806_121917.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally gave it a go and I'm only getting 12.4v at the battery and does not change with the engine running or revving. Guess I need a new regulator. The regulator on the bike is the original. I've got the green/white, white/blue and yellow wires. I've looked at new regulators and they have 3 yellow wires. Does it matter if they are not the colours?