Petcock rebuild

Ok, I searched and saw that people have done it, but no one said how they got this brass piece out of the stock petcock body. 
IMG_3110.thumb.jpeg.b263bed2fe1165100ea661a29c84c7d7.jpeg
Already tried letting it sit in boiling water to see if the body would expand more than the seal, but I can’t get that thing to budge. 

I'm gonna try tossing in the freezer today. There has to be some trick to getting that piece out.

3 hours ago, bunk said:

Im thinking it has to be somewhat similar to a slabby...mine has a super slow leak

The OEM ones were different, but I feel like I've swapped them in the past between slinshots and slabbies.

There's really not much space to get anything behind it. The plastic part that controls normal/reserve is right up against the back side, and I don't think you can replace them. I'm gonna keep trying heat and cold to see if I can get it loose enough to pull out. Understanding why I never rebuilt these things in the past.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, george 1100 said:

From memory, if you remove the guts out from the other side you should be able to get access to tap it out

I think that's how the slabby ones come apart. Slingshot ones are cone shaped and the plastic part can only come out after that brass piece is out of the way. No way to get behind there to knock it out without destroying it. Letting it sit in the freezer for a day, tomorrow I'll try again.

Thinking maybe after letting it sit in the freezer, a blind bearing puller might work.

Edited by Upshotknothole
More info
Posted (edited)

I got a cheap blind bearing puller from Mr Bezos, and after letting it properly age in the freezer for a couple of days, it came right out. Now I’m just waiting on the rebuild kit. 

IMG_3118.thumb.jpeg.ef1e1dfab094a8604b733aa999798225.jpeg

IMG_3117.thumb.jpeg.002a40c3cf449767178b7cdbe18fd183.jpeg

Edited by Upshotknothole
Spelling, stupid fucking phone.
  • Like 2