Cyl 1 and 4 wet.....

Sheep

Ok...today i took ohm readings between the newly fitted ring tags at the coil end and the plug which goes into the ignitor.I got readings on all wires of 00.4 ohms.

I tested the unplugged coils between terminals and got 03.2 ohms on both....multimeter set at 20 ohm range.

I tried linking the two orange and white wires for both coils just to see if that helped.It didn't.

I carried out the test as per Haynes manual which says put spark plugs for 3 and 4 onto earth,plugged as normal into coils,ignition on and the plug for the pick-ups pulled out.I then put my meter probes between the black and green wire connections in the ignitor where the pick-ups plug in and i should have seen a spark on one plug when touching the contacts and then a spark on the other when removing the probes.This did not happen,although the harness/plug arrangement in the manual is more for other models,my EFE is slightly different.

The only way i could get them to jump a spark was to plug the wires back into the ignitor and pull it out again.It was not very consistent though.Sometimes i had to wiggle the plug to get a spark,other times it would do nowt.I even hooked up a strong earth clamp to the plugs to ensure good connection.All connections were cleaned and lubed.

What i did notice just before i packed it in for the day was something with the pick-ups.The wiring to my pick-ups are showing bare wire on all four when i cut them the other day.I had re-soldered them on and they are making good contact but just out of curiosity i put a screwdiver between the pair of wires on one side and then the other.I didn't know what to expect and i was just clutching at straws.On one side,the green and black side,touching the wires together cut the engine (it was running on two still) but when i did the same to the other nothing happened,the motor carried on running!!!

What this means i have no clue lol....maybe that pick-up is kaput.I was thinking if it is knackered why do i get a small spark from 1 and 4?Just to add,2/3 spark is white/blue and 1/4 is orange.

Yes Strima,i am hoping this is all it is...i have another winging its way to mine this week.Im hoping it will cure it.Next will be the igniter box.....i hate electrics..its black magic....or rather black box magic ;)

Looking at various wiring diagrams this weekend makes the London Underground look as simple and straight as a drag strip!!!!

Electrics look confusing but if you draw the circuit out on a piece of paper using different coloured pens it can help a lot, just simplifies the process.  

Wiring diagrams are great but can confuse the fault finding process especially when following a Haynes black and white as it's easy to get the circuits mixed up.

• Like 1

Firstly..

NEWS FLASH.....

Guys,the problem is sorted....get in....the bike is running on all four and boy it sounds good.Getting used to a two cylinder four was doing my nut in....

Secondly,i owe my sincere apologies to all those who said it was the carbs when i was sure it wasn't....thanks to all of you for your help.

Anyhoo,i received my replacement pick-up unit today and went straight outside and fitted it,started her up and then sulked back indoors when it was apparent they were not the problem...bugger.

I went back out,and check #1 plug and it was damp.So i thought i wonder if the floats were flooding the engine.I didn't want to admit it could be the carbs but i had little else to do until the next electrical part came through the post lol.I decided not to remove the carbs from the bike but remove the floats bowls in-situ to see the floats in their natural position.Upon removing the bowl i noticed it was bone dry!!..WTF?..the plug/s were wet yet the bowls were empty.So,off the carbs came again,ready to check for stuck needles.They were not stuck.I kept the carbs upright and removed each drain bolt in turn...guess what?..1 and 4 were bone dry and 3 and 2 were full to the brim!!!!!

So,i established that the two end carbs were dry although the plugs were getting wet so i removed the floats,needles and needle tube/filter.That's when i noticed the tiny pin hole feeding fuel to the bowl from the fuel line was on the wrong side!!!!

The guy i swapped my original flatslides with had ultrasonically cleaned his set,very well too BUT he had only gone and put the two end carbs on back to front!!!!!!!!

Swapping them over,making sure the castings were correct took a little while but they went back together ok...i was sweating like a cornered nun when springs and tiny ball bearings scattered themselves across the floor though.

So,carbs back together,fuel lines attached,and a press of the switch heard her roar into life....boy did it sound satisfying....and what a bloody mare too....

So again,thanks guys for all your help,it was much appreciated......i just cant wait ti get her finished.:)

Edited by Sheep
mistake
  • Like 6

That brings back memories of my first set of rs36's . I bought some second hand - previous owner had done almost the same thing - carbs in wrong order . I had fuel flowing out of one end of the no.4 carb - he had got no.3 and 4 confused !!!

glad you got it sorted !! Enjoy 

• Like 1