'80 GS1000G Piston Rings

Hey all, my GS1000 was burning a ridiculous amount of oil. It lived it's previous life on gravel roads with a damaged air filter, so I decided to pull it apart and check on the rings. Long story short, I'm just going to hone the cylinders, replace the rings and valve seals. My question is, what's the best place to get standard size rings to fit the stock pistons? A lot of places seem to be out of stock of the standard size.

4 hours ago, FatherGodLord said:

Thanks Dennisgs1085. The parts on that website are suspiciously cheap. Are they known for having quality items?

Unless you've also measured the bores, a hone could oversize the bores to the point that new rings of whatever manufacturer won't redeem them! Rings from Suzuki for near 50 yr old bikes are getting rarer than something extinct! So, what's left is aftermarket and the major players aren't to keen on a production run of, say, 250 pieces (to make them affordable) when they may only sell 5 or 10 sets per year! Soon, maybe cheap is all you will be able to purchase! Gotta 'Risk it for a biscuit' !

20 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Unless you've also measured the bores, a hone could oversize the bores to the point that new rings of whatever manufacturer won't redeem them! Rings from Suzuki for near 50 yr old bikes are getting rarer than something extinct! So, what's left is aftermarket and the major players aren't to keen on a production run of, say, 250 pieces (to make them affordable) when they may only sell 5 or 10 sets per year! Soon, maybe cheap is all you will be able to purchase! Gotta 'Risk it for a biscuit' !

Good points. I do plan on measuring before ordering. And I don't necessarily have a problem with cheapies, just curious if you guys had any experience with them. I appreciate the input!

23 hours ago, FatherGodLord said:

Hey all, my GS1000 was burning a ridiculous amount of oil. It lived it's previous life on gravel roads with a damaged air filter, so I decided to pull it apart and check on the rings. Long story short, I'm just going to hone the cylinders, replace the rings and valve seals. My question is, what's the best place to get standard size rings to fit the stock pistons? A lot of places seem to be out of stock of the standard size.

Suzuki dealer.

Total seal, pretty quick and reasonable priced!!

Edited by Reinhoud