gsxr1100 starter motor

does anyone know if a later model gsxr1100 water cooled starter could fit a oil cooled slabside by changing the end mounting caps over?  my old 1100 seems a bit slow to crank and sometimes you woukd think the batterys dead but then itll pick up again,  i know they look the same from  except the mounting end but ive only seen one in photos

I have -93 gsxr 750w starter on the shelf, which atleast according to partzilla is the same part# as gsxr 1100w.

On the pic, above is the water cooled starter and below is gsf 1200 starter.

Close, but not a direct fitment, the watercooled is a bit longer so the mounting holes don't line up.

Might be able made to work by enlarging the mounting holes though.:|

O-ring side seems identical and both use the same O-ring. Gear teeth match also.

Hope this helps.

20240109_155124.jpg

• Like 2

The starter on top is a two pole motor and the bottom a 4 pole motor

The inards wont swap

Also might need to check the gear teeth, there are two different sizes when getting another starter to match what you have 

There a 9 tooth gear and I forget the other (maybe 13 Tooth- don't quote me on that)

Edited by Lachie04
added

If you were going to swap ends then you might as well go ahead and give it a clean

you'll probably find the commutator looks like this 

image.thumb.png.15a8f133a43ae4864a9951811520036b.png

Clean it up and if the bushes have still got some decent meat on them try it again

image.thumb.png.101ccd898f611aa1599604aa283a4da9.png

The 4 pole motors can be a little ticky (read BITCH) to put back together

You need to hold each brush back I have used tiny zip ties to do this then cut them off when you get the commutator back in the there

But keep good pressure on it when sliding the case back on or the magnets will pull it out again

what do you have to lose 

Also when taking it apart before you do mark the case and end caps to align up when it goes back together

Edited by Lachie04
  • Like 4

yer gave the original a good clean up, brushes are like a couple mils above replacement,   seemed better for awhile but still get the times where it acts as a flat battery but batterys good and have changed solonieod and switch block.  im guessing starters like 37 years old,  still searching for a replacement 

Check the leads from the battery to the relay and the relay to the starter? That starter may be 37 years old, but so is the wiring that's powering it. Oxidation on the starter button or the clutch switch if you still have it hooked up can also cause problems. I've had to clean a few starter and clutch switches that were causing intermittent starting issues.

Looks like the slabby 1100s used the same starter as the gsxf 600s. Not sure what year your bike is but check the part number and there should be a newer bike that you can find a starter more easily from.

thanks,  yer its a brand new wiring loom,  ive checked all that and cleaned, cleaned starter switch, no clutch witch,  batterys reasonably new gel type 230cc , im thinking all i can put it down to is the starter

• Like 1

Here's the part number for it. 31100-19C03

Suzuki used them in the slabbie 750s, 1100s, GSX600Fs and probably a few other bikes that we didn't get here in the states. There are a lot of cheap chinese versions of these starters online as well.

I'm guessing the 750F starters will probably work too, and they used those in a ton of bikes. Pretty sure the only difference in any of the starters was the number of teeth, as long as that matches up it'll work.

1 hour ago, Upshotknothole said:

Grounding it off of one of the rear bolts that hold it in place?

Yep, make a battery cable type lead with an M6 hole connector on one end to go onto one starter mounting hole and then connect the other end to the frame. I used an M10 to go onto an engine mount.

• Like 1
On 1/11/2024 at 8:47 AM, Upshotknothole said:

Here's the part number for it. 31100-19C03

Suzuki used them in the slabbie 750s, 1100s, GSX600Fs and probably a few other bikes that we didn't get here in the states. There are a lot of cheap chinese versions of these starters online as well.

I'm guessing the 750F starters will probably work too, and they used those in a ton of bikes. Pretty sure the only difference in any of the starters was the number of teeth, as long as that matches up it'll work.

Not that familiar with oil cooled gixxers, so didn't realize in my first post that the slabside is the one that uses the 1052cc engine.

With that 1052 engine, as far as I know, basically every small cc oil cooled should use the same size smaller starter as the 1052, but the gear may differ as partzilla gives different teeth idler gears for different engines (ie. 12/53 tooth on 1052 slabside (#12611-06B00) and 12/52 tooth on 748 teapot engine (#12611-27A01) ).

So basically referencing which oil cooled engine uses the same starter idle gear, it's starter "should" bolt on?

To make a bit more of a mess of things, you should be able to swap the idle gear to match the different starter, as the smaller gear teeth count stays the same, only the bigger teeth count (which connects to the starter) changes.

1127 and 1157 uses the bigger style starter, hence the "bubble" on the left engine cover, so the the o-ring mating surface is also different in size between 1052 vs 1127 style engines and won't fit.

• Like 1