Cylinder #3 not firing 78 GS750

ledman_70

Have you tried swapping the ignition components from a bike known to run well, rather than the 1000 that runs badly? Most parts don't even have to be GS specific, e.g. a good set of 3 ohm coils, leads, caps, new plugs and so on. Last time I have a similar fault (1100 efe) it was the CDI. It sparked when checked in the normal way but presumably not under compression and ran on only 3 cylinders.

For ignition side troubleshooting it's good to keep in mind that cylinders 1 & 4 and 2 & 3 share the same coil.  So if another cylinder of the pair works then the problem can be only somewhere between the coil and spark plug.

Is that non-running cylinder completely dead or just "mostly dead"? Like if you put a new plug there will it get any black soot or does it stay completely bright? Or can you notice any heat on the exhaust runner?

• Like 1

This is hard to believe, but yesterday I poured a little Marvel down #4  and ran it for 15 minutes and once the smoke started to clear #4 started firing. I set the timing today so I still have to sync the carbs, but it's running decent now. Once I get the carbs set I'm going to drag the 750 back into the garage and try the same thing with it, since it has the same problem seemingly.  Can't believe all it took to clear #4 was Marvel! I would recommend that stuff for any bike that has been sitting. This is not the first time Marvel has fixed a bike for me, I guess I should have gone there first. Thanks for all your help guys!

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...