1984 GSX750S Katana - 180 Rear Wheel Swap

NickGP

Hi Folks,

Just acquired an 84 750 Katana. I Have a WN front end to bolt on but want a matching 5.5 rear wheel with 180 tyre. Yes, I have read multiple Katana project threads and seen multiple options. Basically, other than machining spoacers I am hoping for something to bolt in. I have read that you can use a B12 wheel with GSX carrier/cush or a B6 with GS500 Carrier/cush. So, will a B12 rear wheel/180 tyre slot in easily and will the chain line up? Alternatively, any simple wheel / carrier / caliper combo  any member can suggest.

Cheers & TIA, Nick

3 hours ago, NickGP said:

Hi Folks,

Just acquired an 84 750 Katana. I Have a WN front end to bolt on but want a matching 5.5 rear wheel with 180 tyre. Yes, I have read multiple Katana project threads and seen multiple options. Basically, other than machining spoacers I am hoping for something to bolt in. I have read that you can use a B12 wheel with GSX carrier/cush or a B6 with GS500 Carrier/cush. So, will a B12 rear wheel/180 tyre slot in easily and will the chain line up? Alternatively, any simple wheel / carrier / caliper combo  any member can suggest.

Cheers & TIA, Nick

Hi Nick, what swingarm do you have ? ive used B12 rear wheel with a GSX1100 sprocket carrier but I used a B12 swingarm as well. you will need an offset front sprocket to get the chain in line,  the 530 chain will be close to the frame and the edge of the tyre but on mine I had no contact.  using the B12 swinger you can use all the spacers and calliper hanger and calliper.  :tu

for more chain clearance you could go down to a 525 chain kit. 

Edited by TonyGee
2 hours ago, TonyGee said:

Hi Nick, what swingarm do you have ? ive used B12 rear wheel with a GSX1100 sprocket carrier but I used a B12 swingarm as well. you will need an offset front sprocket to get the chain in line,  the 530 chain will be close to the frame and the edge of the tyre but on mine I had no contact.  using the B12 swinger you can use all the spacers and calliper hanger and calliper.  :tu

for more chain clearance you could go down to a 525 chain kit. 

Hi Tony, I have just bought a Metmachex 1100 twin shock braced arm....so standard size I would assume. I am hoping just to do a wheel swap. I read on one thread that a b6 plus gs500 carrier would slot straight in but that is a 4.5 I think.  Ideally, would like a 5.5 to run a 180... Is there a solution without changing swingarms...? Cheers for responding!

43 minutes ago, NickGP said:

Hi Tony, I have just bought a Metmachex 1100 twin shock braced arm....so standard size I would assume. I am hoping just to do a wheel swap. I read on one thread that a b6 plus gs500 carrier would slot straight in but that is a 4.5 I think.  Ideally, would like a 5.5 to run a 180... Is there a solution without changing swingarms...? Cheers for responding!

im not %100 on the width of the Metmachex swinger compared with the B12 one, if its the same width then yeah the wheel will fit.  B600 will fit a lot easier with chain alignment.  their can be an issue with tyres, different makes of 180  can be wider than others even though they are the same fitment, some have a wider edge !!!!!  

17 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

im not %100 on the width of the Metmachex swinger compared with the B12 one, if its the same width then yeah the wheel will fit.  B600 will fit a lot easier with chain alignment.  their can be an issue with tyres, different makes of 180  can be wider than others even though they are the same fitment, some have a wider edge !!!!!  

Cheers Tony, much appreciated!

• Like 1