removin a pilot jet with a stripped head?

gorbys

I just got an 80' gsx 750 and naturally the carbs are caked from sitting to long. I did a quick driveway clean to get it running but it seems there has been people in there prevously as one pilot jet was almost stripped and another one was completely gone, there is nothing the flathead  screwdriver can grab onto. So does anyone have a trick to get it out? I need to clean them properly.

i do not like tapered easy-outs, you can't see what you're doing in that hole ; brass is soft ; if you drill out the hole you can then easily damage the thread in the carb body, etc.

You do have the perfect centered hole to drill it.

Drill out the pilot jet center to the thickness of the screwdriver as close as possible.

I drilled to just below the thread on the pilot jet.

Then repeatedly (3-4 times) spray WD40 into the remains and heat with a small hobby blowtorch until it boils.

After that, gently knock the flathead into the pilot jet, does not need much to get stuck which is what you want.
Heat cycles, tapping and WD40 should have weakened the crud.
Then you should be able to screw the pilot jet out.
Go easy, small millimeter turns, left and right.
You want to crush the crud and spread it across the thread, not accumulate and get stuck.

Have done this on multiple occasions, works every time.

screwdriver.thumb.jpg.8e2eef2d9242eb0823bb25fb145664e8.jpg

out.thumb.jpg.9793dcbdfeae3e9d304a0b36ba0f301a.jpg

carbs in stand.jpg

Edited by Rijko
  • Like 2

Thanks rijko for an excellent guide. 

As of now I got it running last night, doesn't run good but it runs on choke. If I blipp the throttle it wants to die. 

BTW. Does anyone know if the gs850 and gsx750 uses the same cv carbs? 

I have a carb rack from my old 850 engine. I might just swap over instead if they're the same. 

• Like 1

I was damn nervous when doing this, but it worked. And the 850 carbs used the same size pilot jet so I was able to swap it. Also found a pierced and worn membrane. Again the 850 carbs was used for spares but I swapped the needles since they weren't the same 

20230823_205808.jpg

16928604443651361677188516753332.jpg

• Like 2