Coils, whats the best choice?

VJ

So the coils on my b12 engined rat are pretty screwed and the leads keep coming off the plug caps. Im getting very tempted to swap but im looking for some advice. Should I go for stock coils, a dyna set or is it possible to wire it to suit coil on plug style coils? 

Im looking for reliability and cheapness over gucci status, it is a commuter hack after all.

Cheers

VJ

I'm not sure about Bandit coils, but the OEM coils on my 86 GSXR750 do have replaceable wires. I broke the clips holding in the wires, so I just used zip ties. I had mine until over 90K miles. I replaced the spark plug caps and wires around 80K miles. I replaced the whole ignition to a Dyna 2000 with coils mostly because I need the tuning ability and adjustable rev limiter for this version of my engine. For you, on the cheap, I'd just replace the caps and wires.

Ive trimmed the leads a lot and they still seem to keep coming off so this time ive filled the rubber boot with sealant and hopefully that'l hold it on and keep the spark in. If that fails then i'll buy some newer coils i think.

Cheers

VJ

Seriously, just replace the caps AND wires,,,,,, or even just the wires. Over time the rubber in the wires gets brittle and won't let the screw in the cap take a good bite very well anyways. You can always upgrade the coils down the road. With a stock motor/ignition you won't gain anything with new high performance coils. I ran the stock ignition with just a 5 degree advance rotor{DIY} for years with my modded 883 motor with no issues. Like I said, I went Dyna, for the most part, so I could raise the limiter for this version of my motor.