Slabside fork swap issue

Hard_Body

First time posting, was wondering if I could get some insight from the gurus on here.

I have an 86 Slabside 750, just about completed an 89 fork swap for the 17 inch wheels, but after throwing the fairings on I noticed I lost a crazy amount of handle bar clearance inside the front fairing.

My master cylinders in the proper locations will touch the fairings on both sides, meaning I can’t even steer the forks. I did a fair amount of research but I don’t think I read anything about this. 

Any insight would be great! For now I’ll have to run the bike naked.

You have an 1100 front end (or top yoke/bars). On the 750 the clip ons go under the top yoke. It looks to me like the easiest way forward is to source some conventional clip ons and fit them under the top yoke. The 1100 forks are a bit longer than those of the 750 by the way (I think), which explains why the top of the fork is fouling the fairing bracket. Two steps forward and one back is normal when modifying bikes :).

Edited by Dezza
  • Like 2

Thank you! About a hundred ways to interchange these parts and a thousand ways to mess it up lol

I found a 97 srad 750 top bridge and handlebars on Eblag, any chance the fork spacing is the same on those bikes as well?

Either way I do appreciate the help, I’m used to modifying cars so taking multiple steps back is normal for me haha