Fuel leak

Rod

Good evening Gents ,

I went to start my 1982 Gsx1100e I haven’t used it for a couple of months. So I switched it to prime, when it started I turned it to the on position, but fuel was pouring out of all four carbs, and only stopped when I turned the ignition off. I was thinking fuel tap problem, unlikely all four floats are stuck, what do you think.

regards Rod.

Well between you and @Gixer1460I think you've covered the likely suspects most likely float jets as Gixxer1460 says ,but if they've not been done in a while a carb strip and (preferably ultrasonic) clean just to remove any gummy varnish and if the fuel tap isn't shutting fully when there's no vacuum to operate the diaphragm then strip and check that over too lastly clean and if necessary  de-rust the inside of the tank any debris that makes it through the mesh filter in the tap may impinge on the operation of the tap or carbs....reckon that covers it :D

29 minutes ago, Rod said:

Good evening Gents ,

I went to start my 1982 Gsx1100e I haven’t used it for a couple of months. So I switched it to prime, when it started I turned it to the on position, but fuel was pouring out of all four carbs, and only stopped when I turned the ignition off. I was thinking fuel tap problem, unlikely all four floats are stuck, what do you think.

regards Rod.

if its coming out of the overflows on all 4 then it might be worth tapping the carb bodys with with a rubber mallet to free the float needles 

4 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

if its coming out of the overflows on all 4 then it might be worth tapping the carb bodys with with a rubber mallet to free the float needles 

Or the ring end of a 12mm combi spanner ,cos my rubber mallet wouldn't fit in the frame  :D

maul_mine.jpg

Edited by DAZ
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

From your responses it seems the float needle valves are a problem and unable to cope with modern fuel even E5. Therefore are there better quality valves available, and if so where from. I have a few old bikes and haven’t had this problem before.

many thanks Rod.