Switch assemblies (both) gsx1100esd faulty, worn, just f*#@!d ........

SheepDog

Hi guys,

I'm getting to the pointy end of my restoration. Hit a couple of snags.

My left switch assembly is cactus. I've disassembled and cleaned out with contact cleaner, a bit of contact grease, etc but no cigar. Mechanism just worn and bits of plastic broken holding the main spring, as well as the choke mechanism worn and unable to grasp/hold the choke cable end thus not operating the choke.

LeftSwtich.thumb.JPG.6e8e4744d420d8a5d5fc5a1367e7041e.JPG

The right switch assembly works OK with a thorough clean as above (mechanically and electronically) and throttle housing and operation good but I am worried about durability.

RightSwitch.thumb.JPG.48c89b2bd81c2101e979b872944fa678.JPG

My question is are there aftermarket replacements with a choke adapter and the same throttle cable housing (are they standard). Are aftermarket 7/8 inch assemblies an easy swap involving the choke and throttle or do I need to also buy a new throttle assembly to fit into the aftermarket switch assemblies? The electrical doesn't worry as I can sort out/adapt to make operational. It's the choke and throttle housing that has me concerned. I would like to swap for a clean matching pair if this makes sense.

Also attached is a photo of the carbs, the new K&N pods, and the fuses and cabling cleaned up. I just completed this. Anyway cheers guys.

CarbsAirPodsFuses.thumb.JPG.a6c7c3b5554656d6765b8f1394085002.JPG

The idjuts who designed, and then thought it so good as to put it into production, that left side single light-toggle switch used on several Suzukis in the mid-80s should hang their heads in collective shame. It's just awful. Unless there is a very good reason to keep it then a good way forward is to change to a later GSXR style switch with separate light and indicator toggles. I do not know the choke lever design for the ESD: if it's like the one on the EFE, then it can be mounted to the bars using a small custom bracket. The right side switch unit is much better. Have you tried dismantling it, then cleaning and lubricating all the bits and reassembling? This usually works but is very fiddly. Use an old plastic washing up bowl in which to do this to prevent any of the tiny contacts, springs and ball bearings from getting lost. If they go ping then that's the last you'll ever see of them. A magnifying glass helps too :).

Later GSXR or Blandit Switch Gear are relatively easy replacements if your handy at wiring "swapping plugs etc"    and B6 ones are normally cheaper :D

Its Not everyone's ideal solution to the choke :ph34r: but a key ring on the end of the shaft on left hand carb has always worked for me...:tu

PS dropping old switches in an Ultra Sonic Cleaner works wonders 

Edited by Duckndive

Thanks guys for the replies.

I like your thinking Duckndive. I had the same thoughts of attaching a 'choke knob' or some manufactured 'thumb bracket' to the end of the shaft on the carburetors. And then reach under and just give a tug and hold to operate the chokes and thumb the start button. I'll look into a key ring idea as attaching this may be easier.

I'll look into the GSXR / Bandit switch gear and compare for aftermarket one's. I haven't changed out any switch assemblies and to be honest it is the throttle housing on the right handle bar that has me concerned. I know, stick with suzuki parts and I probably will be safe.

Dezza, the OEM choke mechanism attaches to the bottom of the left side switch assembly as per attached photo. I'm open for anything as a drop in replace. Be it under the switch assembly or beside the assembly (inside diameter 7/8) or attached to the handle bar by a custom bracket. Any photo or thoughts would help. It may come down to the key ring idea. A shame as the choke cable is good and the bracket attached to the carburetors supporting the choke cable and throttle cable is all good and sitting there installed.

1849829596_LeftSwitchAssembly.thumb.jpg.b14ddb825abbe63b7fda5034354523ee.jpg

Edited by SheepDog

The choke mechanism is the same as on the efe. All I did was to mount it on a seperate bracket that fixes to the unused mirror mounting thread on my clutch perch. I'll post a picture later. Changing switches is easy although you'll probably need to reposition at least some of the wires in the connector blocks, and identify which wires have specific functions by using a multi-meter. This is not exactly rocket-surgery, even I can do it :). Some GSXR switches accommodate a choke cable and some do not. As dave says Blandit switches do too. However, at least for the GSXR switches, the cables differ meaning the GSX cable does not fit correctly into the GSXR choke cable lever. This is why I simply remounted the original GSX choke lever.

For the right side housing is the twist grip worn or are the switches sticking, not operating correctly, or both?

Edited by Dezza