GSX750ES 85' cam lubrication

FrenchTouch

Hi guys,

I'm rebuilding a 85' GSX750ES (GR72A) after 12 years of resting... and I have a doubt about the lubrication of the exhaust cam.

First, I removed the engine to examine it and change what has to be changed (only seals, no abnormal wear marks) .

And now i finished the job, I always do a lubrication test : so,  no spark plugs, no engine cover, a battery direct on the electric starter and see what happens.

The result is, the inlet cam is properly oiled (see picture below while motor is running)

2075511695_LubadmOK.thumb.jpg.d765dfb247b7a6c78a255bf8c2d655f0.jpg

but the exhaust doesn't receive the same amount of oil (almost nothing)...

20755594_LubEchapKO.thumb.jpg.2e80c8155e53d8d075c60861efda6176.jpg

I don't have the same behavior on my others bikes so my question is, is that normal on this machine ? (the oil pressure depends of the engine speed and the oil comes from the rear....)

Thanks in advance and greetings from France.

1 hour ago, Dezza said:

Isn't the cam cover integral to the overall lubrication of the head? Maybe fit the cover and re-crank the engine, then remove and check both cams.

I believe that the cam cover is only integrated to the extent of the SACS cooling circuit. All head lubrication is via the ports,channels and galleries in the crankcase, then barrels and into the head to the cam bearings. If it wasn't for the gallons of oil being pumped up the cooling lines, you could run the engine, cam cover off, to see if decent amounts of oil were getting to where it was required!