New front sprocket won’t fit.

Spelli

Hi All,

bought a new chain and sprocket set for my very slowly being put back together GSX1100et earlier this year from wemoto  

it is a JT sprocket set.  Bit disappointed as the pattern of the rear sprocket is not the same as the original, but hey ho….

I have come eventually to fit the front sprocket and I understand that it is a different pattern from the original no longer available part,  but it seems too tight to me.

The original slid on and off the spines with ease but the new one seems too small to me. I certainly can not push it on by hand and I do not want to use force. It occurred to me that if it was heated first it might go on, but I feel this is not right approach.

Could  someone advise me what I should do,  should I just buy another and hope that one fits.

I was planing on using the original washers and spacers to align the sprockets 

Pattern parts…… arrrrh

The splines look good. 

I think taking a file to the sprocket might be worth a try.  Nothing to loose if the alternative is to buy another anyway  

I was half expecting to be told that heating the sprocket before fitting was a standard practice. Or that JT sprockets were such poor quality that it isn’t a surprise that it doesn’t fit.  

6 minutes ago, Spelli said:

can you rivet a drive chain by hand with a hammer and punch? 

you can use a hammer to peen the end of the pin over but you need to support the other end of the pin as it will just slide through the chain link. 

the end plate on a soft like should be a tight fit on the pins, so it only needs a small amount of peening to hold it in place.  

17 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

the end plate on a soft like should be a tight fit on the pins

I understand th rear of the chain needs to be supported by something heavy at the rear. But I didn’t understand that last comment.  Could you clarify please. 

the side plate that slides onto the 2 pins on a soft link should be a tight fit (it has to be forced on) unlike a split link where the side plate just slides on and then held in place by the clip. but saying that their are split links where the side plate is also a tight fit.  does that make sense ?  

• Like 1