GSX1100 carbs.

imago

Looking forward a bit I think the next thing on the bench will be the 1100 that's going to be a 'jump on and go' build. The general idea is not going too far with cosmetics, and adding '80s upgrades. I have most of the stuff and a plan but one bit which I could do with some input on is the carbs/jetting for pods.

So my question is, what are the most suitable carbs to use on an 1100 if you're fitting pod filters? I suppose the other thing would be pod recommendations.

• Like 1

Can't really say about the carbs, but I've prefer K&N filters. 

Tryed the foam ramair ones and they worked ok but the foam falls apart if it's in contact with anything.

I do have a set of the gsx1100 36mm carbs that need a clean and a home :D was thinking of putting them on a bandit 750 xD

• Like 3
1 hour ago, wraith said:

Can't really say about the carbs, but I've prefer K&N filters. 

Tryed the foam ramair ones and they worked ok but the foam falls apart if it's in contact with anything.

I do have a set of the gsx1100 36mm carbs that need a clean and a home :D was thinking of putting them on a bandit 750 xD

I have standard carbs, both decent and for parts. I was just wondering if there were any alternatives which better suit pods and the extra air flow. I'd like to convert to injection but the electrical output is an issue that needs a solution before I go down that route, so I'll leave that nest of snakes to a later build.

Now that the stock + 1170 is nearly done the rough plan for the others is:- 1) A second mint/shiny/standard (then sell one of them). 2) A full on OSS style 'modify everything because you can'. 3) A moderately modified but not overly shiny decent bike for general use. As mentioned before this will have period/80s mods like a Micron fork brace, Cowley exhaust etc.

Number 3 on that list will be the next to do, so I'm keeping with carbs, but whatever suits best will be the order of the day.

• Like 1

As above, if you wanted to spend the money, RS or CR slide carbs will be the best.

See quite a lot of modified gsx1100 with gsxr/b12 36 mm carbs fitted, they have a bigger air intake side over the standard carbs so may preform better. Did have a set of b12 carbs on gs1000 bord to 1100cc but the b12 carbs always felt as if they where taking to much air with hard throttle and full open but that's a different motor. In the old days xD people always said the gsxr1100 34mm tin tops where the best carbs for GS/gsx but try and get a set of them these days O.o

• Like 2

It's not so much about performace as getting it to run 'right' across the range with pods. I found (back in the day) that no matter how much you faffed about with jetting it was always a compromise. Bogged in one range, pulled well but hunted on neutral throttle etc.

So I was wondering if anyone had found something better suited. Saving me a load of 4rse ache with trial and error basically. If there's nothing known to be better then at least the carbs on carbs off hokey cokey will be easier without an airbox to fight when swapping jets around. xD

• Like 1

Had a set of the gsxr1100j tin tops on a bord out z1000j and they ran very well all the way through the range.

If I remember needle in the middle grove, standard stetting for pilot screws with a 134 main jet.

A lot of the time, if you can't get the carbs run right in one area it will be more the exhaust or end can. Had a full Cobra exhaust on a gsxr1100 could never get it to run right at bottom end but mid and top was very good, change the link pipe and end can and got it to run nice all the way through.

So not always the carbs.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, wraith said:

Had a set of the gsxr1100j tin tops on a bord out z1000j and they ran very well all the way through the range.

If I remember needle in the middle grove, standard stetting for pilot screws with a 134 main jet.

A lot of the time, if you can't get the carbs run right in one area it will be more the exhaust or end can. Had a full Cobra exhaust on a gsxr1100 could never get it to run right at bottom end but mid and top was very good, change the link pipe and end can and got it to run nice all the way through.

So not always the carbs.

Useful info, thanks. I'll get it all together with the Cowley exhaust on and start with the standard carbs then. See how that goes and take it from there. (y)

• Like 1