1100M Alternator issue?

Nick

Hi there,

I have long suspected that my 1100M has a charging issue.  It's fine, as long as you don't ride it with the lights on.  If you ride with the lights on for a prolonged period of time, the battery drains when you go to start it again and you have to bump it....

With a multimeter across the terminals, I get 15.5v at 5000rpm with the lights on (bike on the paddock stand in neutral).  From this, I take it regulator/rectifier in the alternator is shagged as this seems like its overcharging to me?

Does anyone know what the reading should be from a healthy charging system?  Haynes book of lies only gives a lower limit...

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Thanks for the replies,  guys - and the welcome.

With the engine off, the battery shows 12.75v... Definitely seems like its overcharging then from your readings, Icekat.

Looking at the cost of replacement regulator/rectifiers, I'm guessing I'd be better off just getting hold of another alternator? 

Thanks again

do the mod as described in the link I posted. Costs almost nothing.

If the wiring has resistance (very likely for a 25 year old bike) a new generator is not going to help.

Thanks for bringing this mod up again Captain, I'd forgotten about it.  I'm going to do this mod ,my loom seems okay at present, voltage seems okay - but I have a LiFePO4 battery which I don't want to damage.     

Thanks for bringing this mod up again Captain, I'd forgotten about it.  I'm going to do this mod ,my loom seems okay at present, voltage seems okay - but I have a LiFePO4 battery which I don't want to damage.     

Likewise - I have just forked out for a Motobatt AGM battery and don't want to kill it just yet.  Does anyone who has done this mod have any pics of how they've done the install, by any chance?

I've bought the relay Nick, but fitting it will have to wait until I finish several projects I've started - fitting Foxeye Blade headlight (making it look factory fit), building aluminium fairing brace, making aluminium mudguard/number plate support, making exhaust hanger bracket and seat lock for other side - plus the fitting of the big bore kit I bought a month or two ago !!! - busy winter.....

I think you, like me are wondering where best to fit the relay, for cable access and protection from the elements - jonny_1bump did this mod originally I think - you out there J1B ?

I've bought the relay Nick, but fitting it will have to wait until I finish several projects I've started - fitting Foxeye Blade headlight (making it look factory fit), building aluminium fairing brace, making aluminium mudguard/number plate support, making exhaust hanger bracket and seat lock for other side - plus the fitting of the big bore kit I bought a month or two ago !!! - busy winter.....

I think you, like me are wondering where best to fit the relay, for cable access and protection from the elements - jonny_1bump did this mod originally I think - you out there J1B ?

Sounds like you need to start a project thread oily!  (hint hint!)

Thanks capt - when I've done mine, I will chuck a pic up.