1100 carbs issue

Repaerman

Have had fitted what i was told mk1 b12 carbs to my 88 gsx1100f engine and could get bike to start and run with standard jets but would not rev out ...guy working on the carbs tried 120 then 130 and no improvement ...then started to drill out jets 140 / 160 ended up at 200 and bike now runs drives ...seems way big for main jets ...

Am thinking try for another set proven carbs or try find somewhere who could check original and sort out jetting ..am on scots border any workshops recomended up my way or any thing i can try with the original carbs.....

A 200 MJ is waaaaaaay too large - just proves the mid range ain't working ....... not enough airflow acting on needle and / or emulsion tube and relying on MJ just 'leaking' enough fuel to run and if it ever gets to WOT it'll be massively rich! Std needles are designed to run lean enough with all the exhaust and airbox restrictions & work with sensible sized MJ's - the aftermarket jetting kits usually include reprofiled needles because of this. They are spendy but DJ kits tend to work 'out of the box' and within 1 or 2 jet sizes of recommended so avoiding a lot of faffing about - that's the route i'd go!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

A 200 MJ is waaaaaaay too large - just proves the mid range ain't working ....... not enough airflow acting on needle and / or emulsion tube and relying on MJ just 'leaking' enough fuel to run and if it ever gets to WOT it'll be massively rich! Std needles are designed to run lean enough with all the exhaust and airbox restrictions & work with sensible sized MJ's - the aftermarket jetting kits usually include reprofiled needles because of this. They are spendy but DJ kits tend to work 'out of the box' and within 1 or 2 jet sizes of recommended so avoiding a lot of faffing about - that's the route i'd go!

12 hours ago, Repaerman said:

Mucho pennies ....but needs must .......all trawl around some site's as need it running right ..its 88 GSX1100F engine

Seems DJ don't do a specific kit for the GSX 1100F - maybe one for the GSXR1100 '88 model could work? In which case they have separate stage 1 and stage 3 kits @ about £150 each. You'll have to determine whether your particular build needs one or the other. Of course there are other kits available - Factory - is one although i've never used one so don't know how well they work! Factory also seemingly do st 1 and st 3 kits for about $140 so probably about £140 in Blighty! (Note : these are for plastic capped carbs not the earlier tin top varieties!) 

• Like 1