Petrol tap rebuild kit grease.

18 hours ago, rodneya said:

Ive never used any grease, but  I always cleaned up and polished any metal parts that contact the seals and rotate when the tap is turned. More common on non vacuum petcocks.

Thank you Rodneya, I'll be doing this over the next few days and I'll try your method. I hadn't thought about polishing the faces, seems like a good idea to me.

The problem with mine is that it's stiff to operate and doesn't turn the fuel supply off even when it's turned to that direction.  Hopefully a new seal & diaphragm kit will sort it.

Cheers, Brian.

Edited by BrianUK

Pingel supply grease with their (ludicrously over-priced) fuel tap re-build kits. As a cheaper alternative, I obtained new seals separately for one of mine and greased them before re-assembly using basic castrol grease. I also lightly greased the main shaft that rotates when the tap is operated. I did a thread on this so use the search function if you think it may help :).

Edited by Dezza
1 hour ago, Dezza said:

Pingel supply grease with their (ludicrously over-priced) fuel tap re-build kits. As a cheaper alternative, I obtained new seals separately for one of mine and greased them before re-assembly using basic castrol grease. I also lightly greased the main shaft that rotates when the tap is operated. I did a thread on this so use the search function if you think it may help :).

Hi Dezza, thanks for your answer, I did do a search but nothing came up.  I'll try again and see if I can find your thread, thank you.

Interesting about you using normal Castrol grease, my first thought was that it would swell the rubber but I suppose that's not the case because they will be nitrile or something?  I didn't buy a Pingel kit for my tap, I didn't see one of them when I looked, I bought a Tourmax kit.  Partly because I've used their caliper kits in the past with good results, partly because they are made in Japan rather than China etc.

Cheers, Brian.