86 GSXR 750G

I "acquired" this bike 3 years ago.  It was fairly complete however the plastics were trashed and the tank was rusty.  I got a bunch of extra parts with it got crazy about fixing it then winter hit and it was pushed aside for other projects.  Now my new GF tells me I have too many "loose threads" so I decided to start looking at it again.  There is a bunch of weird things about this bike that I was hoping someone here could give me advise on before I go down any further on this.  

1. The left rearset was missing/broken when I got it, I found a couple left side sets however when I bolted it up to the frame the back of the peg is rubbing on the swingarm bad.  I am wondering if the mounts got bent, can I heat the frame and bend it back a little without screwing myself?

2.  I have 19 inch rims on the bike but they are 3 spoke white rims, I am told they are rare rims from an 1100?  The rear tire is 160/60 R18 could they have tweaked things to fit that and that is why the rearset is rubbing? I do have an original  6 spoke rear rim for it but no front right now.

3.  When taking apart the front brakes I realized that the forks were from an 1100 because it had the electronic dampers in the forks (the wires were just twisted up under the gauges. It also has a red front fender instead of a black one.  I found some original forks for the bike but now I am wondering if the brake calipers are going to work with that wheel. 

I know I gotta basketcase here but I don't want to part it out I would rather make her into a "rider"

I attached some pics not sure if that helps anything.

IMG_4002.thumb.jpeg.4a1b7725382ec433d978ed86ab00c9c2.jpegIMG_4003.thumb.jpeg.03233dddd5afab011bf4ebdc28b7fe4a.jpeg

• Like 1

Swinger looks 750, as you've established you have a couple of bikes going on there. Front end looks like 1100j, on the bright side you have the parts to make a good bike, I'm assuming the left hand rearset is definitely bent? I hate trying to get things like that straight just incase it goes tits up, good luck(y)

6 minutes ago, eddiegsx said:

Swinger looks 750, as you've established you have a couple of bikes going on there. Front end looks like 1100j, on the bright side you have the parts to make a good bike, I'm assuming the left hand rearset is definitely bent? I hate trying to get things like that straight just incase it goes tits up, good luck(y)

So would you do a little heat and try and bend it back out a smidge?

Have you tried a replacement  as hopefully it will be just the rearset that's bent, otherwise I suppose it's got to be the mounting point. I'm no expert on bending aluminium, I did read somewhere that it doesn't like too much heat so be careful, having said that, there's guys on this forum that are far more qualified than me to advise you about the technicalities.

1 minute ago, TonyGee said:

that footrest hanger is defo bent and needs tweaking straight, if all else fails you could put some washers behind it to pull it away from the swinger.  

Yea I have gotten 2 different hangers one off a frame that it looked right on so the hanger is straight.

3 minutes ago, joemoma1990 said:

Yea I have gotten 2 different hangers one off a frame that it looked right on so the hanger is straight.

it must be my dodgy old eyes O.o if its defo straight then it must be the frame lugs, but i wouldn't try to bend them back as it could end up in tears if they snap off. :S 

2 hours ago, joemoma1990 said:

So should I stick with the 1100J rims or trade for correct rims?

Only you can answer that question, depends On what you want.

Getting back to the bend on the rearset mount, years ago I bought bike with the same problem but not quite as bad as yours, to solve it I cut a long piece of thick steel plate to obtain leverage, shaped and drilled it to mount on the rearset lugs then applied gentle heat to the area around it and slowly drew it back into shape. Never had any issues after that.