Gs550 regulator/rectifier earth - best to frame or battery negative?

StevieB

Hi - in progress rebuilding my 1989 Gs550. Engine back in the frame. It hasn't run for the past 7 years so thought I would start cleaning all electrical contacts throughout the harness before attaching a battery. It's already had the regulator/rectifier mod done to eliminate overheating and burning out. Previously the earth wire was bolted to the frame to earth.

Been reading the forums here and GS resources - my one question is it better to wire the earth lead directly to battery negative for a better connection or is the frame earth as original sufficient?

Dont forget the engine strap:

The negative of the battery to the engine is due the electrical draw of the starter motor.

I prever to connect the harness earth / ground wires to the battery to limit the possible points of corrosion which result in added resistance.  

Now thats out of way... please start a thread to document the journey of your bike.

Let others learn from you too.

Thanks (y)

Edited by Blubber
Duhhh

A cable (battery cable type) from a starter motor mounting bolt direct to the frame (e.g. one of the engine mounts) can work wonders, especially if your frame has been powder coated. This is because refinishing the frame can result in a poor, or even no, continuity between the engine and frame.

Thanks for the replies.

Don't think my post was that clear, was questioning the regulator/rectifier earth lead - not the wiring harness negative return. The one on my bike previously went to frame earth - but reading a link from GS resources it was recommended to run it directly to the battery negative. Just wondered if this was a better idea?

Screenshot_20200830-180722-4_kindlephoto-165792862.png

Edited by StevieB
Adding photos