Katana Fairing Replicas

Ash

A few years back I purchased a replacement fairing and a couple of side panels for one of my Kats. I looked at various options including OEM and fibreglass replicas. In the end I settled on plastic replicas, these are low pressure mouldings, price was good and delivery was pretty quick. The fairing, with the exception of the inicator holes, does not come with any mounting holes, but it does have the location of the holes marked and drilling is like going through butter. There are seam lines on the fairing and the odd mark which needs sanding. The plastic takes paint well, but being quite flexible, the paint also needs to have some flex in it. Curing in an oven could result in a derformed fairing though.

I bought another fairing a few days ago and thought I would post up some photos, which may be of interest to anyone thinking of getting the same fairing. I wont post up a link as I'm not sure if that's allowed.

Photo 26-08-2020, 16 42 44.jpg

Photo 26-08-2020, 16 42 22.jpg

Photo 26-08-2020, 16 42 29.jpg

Photo 26-08-2020, 16 42 51.jpg

Photo 26-08-2020, 16 42 56.jpg

Photo 26-08-2020, 16 43 11.jpg

Photo 26-08-2020, 16 43 35.jpg

• Like 1

I read an article aboit a guy building a track kat and he did state that painting the fairing + cooking did deform it a bit

Best bet for the curing process :

mount it on the fairing stay using screws but not screwing them down, just locating

I'm sure that will avoid any distorsion since the fairing will be braced in its proper postion

Edited by Joseph

I've painted very flexible seat coverings with rattle can paint and not had a problem with it breaking up. The knee pads on my tank have held up very well and I've had them off and on a number of times twisting and bending them in the process. Good surface prep is the key to adhesion.

IMG_1574.JPG

Edited by RGSX