Carb slide height

Mouse

Hi

i'm trying to set up the carbs on my 78 GS750 and am having two problems.

Firstly i know that i have to set all the slides to the same height by the adjuster screws under the carb tops but i don't know if there is a gap height to set them to or do i set them all to the bottom and then adjust them so i just feel them move, i.e just slip a rizzla under them until i can just pull it out and then set the tickover when running by the tickover screw or is there another way ???.

Second,  the choke rod seems to only move about half it's movement if that makes sense, if i slacken all four screws that attach to the finger bits that lift the "choke plungers"  the rod moves fully and locks at the end on the small ballbearing in the carb body like it should, but if i tighten the screws up the rod only moves about half way and is quite stiff, i have taken all the plungers out and cleaned them and if i pull them up on there own everything seems to work freely, but as soon as i attach them to the rod it all seems to bind up, I have also checked that the rod is straight.

Thanks

Mouse

There is usually one carb that is fixed ie. can't be adjusted so wind the throttle stop screw to open the throttle blades until something like a 3mm drill just fits in the gap of that carb, then adjust all the others to match that gap using the same drill. This is a static balance - final balance should be done with vacuum gauges and running engine. Obviously once static balance done the throttle stop screw should be wound out or it'll rev its tits off on start-up LOL! As regards the choke - I don't know as i've never had a problem with the choke system!

• Like 1

There is no master carb on VM carbs. Vacuum sync is required, but a bench sync ( what you're trying to do) is helpful

You can either do the setting to the bottom as above, or pull the return spring and set them to the top of the carb throat

On the choke issue, are all the fingers set with the notch down?  On the set screw side, there is a notch below the screw. Because the fingers are curved, one or more could be upside down

• Like 3

Hi

Well thanks to your suggestions i seem to have sorted it.

First i set the slide height by using a drill bit method, nice one Gixer1460 ,

Then i checked the  fingers as BigT suggested and found that on one of them one of the fingers had got bent outwards somehow buy a very small amount (3mm) but this was just enough for it to catch on the carb body and stop it opening fully.

So heated it up a bit on the cooker to soften it a bit an then bent it back into shape, all good now. Thanks Fellas. (y)(y)

Mouse,

• Like 1