Best/easiest way to remove paint from engine block?

Lloyd Hewer

Engine is currently stripped down completely ready to be prepped, painted and rebuilt. What's the best way to remove all old paint? I've been steered away from any sort of blasting as I'll never get shot of all the grit which could cause major problems during running. Engine is a 750 from a slabby.

Does anyone have any experience and what do they think is best.

Thanks 

Engine is currently stripped down completely ready to be prepped, painted and rebuilt. What's the best way to remove all old paint? I've been steered away from any sort of blasting as I'll never get shot of all the grit which could cause major problems during running. Engine is a 750 from a slabby.

Does anyone have any experience and what do they think is best.

Thanks 

Its bastard stuff to remove which is usually a good thing! - chemical dipping probably the best way + it'll clean out a lot of the oil galleries especially if 'hot tanked' at an engine builders afterwards!

That Magnesium cover was probably chromated, so possible best left alone for what I'm about to suggest next. If you blast chromated magnesium you have to get it re-finished straight away, otherwise it'll start corroding almost instantly and you yet worm holes forming in the casting which will lead to it falling apart really quickly. You could paint it, but it's not really what you should be doing.

Over at P1 Towers, we've soda blasted a complete lump during this year. End results were a bit patchy and it was a little expensive as the soda is a disposable media and the blasters will get through a shit load doing this. Soda is water soluble, so it doesn't wreck fine engine internals in the same way that grit/ aqua will. You'll need really good plugs for all holes though. Serious prep work before it's started. Oil change pretty quickly too, no idea what happens to engine oil when you add Baking Powder, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be good for longevity.

Biggest trouble is finding a blaster with the right/big enough rig to take on the job. The 'Key' that is left behind, definitely isn't good enough for powder coat, but if you used an etch primer before a HT top coat I reckon that you'd get good results. Ours stayed au natural and was then stripped down and rebuilt. I was quicker to do it this way than strip, send to aqua blast, get it back and then rebuild from scratch.

Good luck.

If anybody knows anywhere where they use Walnut Kernal, I'm all ears. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...