Katana cam chain rattle

Hi, just joined ,so hello to all,

Picked up an 81 kat 1100 a few months ago and can't stop smiling,,, had one 20 years ago and wifey cursed me for selling it,  been putting a few miles on it recently but have noticed a rattle on the over run, I'm not great with motors , can I ask if it's anything to get sorted straight away or is it common on these engines  ? It has just over 40k on the clock, been looked after well and ridden regularly .I have water cooled bikes and not had a big classic for a while,,

Cheers Al

Edited by 1100alg

They are mechanically 'noisy' - part of their charm ! But at that mileage the cam chain could be getting towards its EOL but possibly the cam chain tensioner spring is going / has gone slack and not applying correct tension - I'd check that first as relatively easy. Cam chains can be done insitu or without splitting the cases - done it myself with a 1327 engine but strip down is the correct 'by the book' method.

1 hour ago, Gixer1460 said:

They are mechanically 'noisy' - part of their charm ! But at that mileage the cam chain could be getting towards its EOL but possibly the cam chain tensioner spring is going / has gone slack and not applying correct tension - I'd check that first as relatively easy. Cam chains can be done insitu or without splitting the cases - done it myself with a 1327 engine but strip down is the correct 'by the book' method.

Isn't this a bit of a problem with the GS/GSX?

Mine was ratly too, even with a new tensioner, a manual one fixed the problem

4 hours ago, Askamaskinservice said:

Welcome to OSS.(y)

That's a nice bike, bet it's a keeper this time.

it certainly is, it's completely stock other than, Koni's and the screen,  rides very well, went over the top to the eCat and fiddle on Sunday, never missed a beat, and cheers, looks a great site, some nice bikes on here 

17 hours ago, 1100alg said:

it certainly is, it's completely stock other than, Koni's and the screen,  rides very well, went over the top to the eCat and fiddle on Sunday, never missed a beat, and cheers, looks a great site, some nice bikes on here 

So keep that one standard and build a new one, with USD fork, wider 17" rims, braced swingarm and turbo it.(y)

You know you need another one........:D

You know you deserve another one.......:D

18 hours ago, Askamaskinservice said:

So keep that one standard and build a new one, with USD fork, wider 17" rims, braced swingarm and turbo it.(y)

You know you need another one........:D

You know you deserve another one.......:D

wouldn't i just,!!!   I'll have to up my paper round and start saving,, 

• Like 1