Camcover breather/catch can ideas?

Jpich85

I want to make a oil catch can for my bike and include a breather for the camcover breather in it but I wanted to ask could I run a return pipe from it and put it to the oil filler cap on the engine? So the cam breather would go to a container with a breather on it then a second pipe from the container to the oil filler cap? I think it would be ok but wanted to ask everyone’s advice before I start making it.

It can be done but if the bike is used sporadically then the oil / crankcase 'traps' moisture from the air in the cases, which will through use become steam, which is carried to the catch can where it condenses and will drain back into the cases for the process to be repeated ad infinitum! Easier to catch it and discard it !

• Like 2

Often done that way on race bikes.   both crank and cam cover breath into same catch tank, put the crank case breather in the bottom of the tank  so any oil vapour spat out of the cam cover can condense and drain back to the crankcase.  Make sure you have a vent to atmosphere on the breather and that I has a filter on it to prevent shit getting in through the vent and contaminating the oil.

Thanks guys, sorry I just meant a second pipe going from the catch can the the oil filler cap, I thought that any oil would return to the engine but I see now that the oil filler cap pipe is a sort of a breather pipe too then, thanks for those pictures mate gives me a few ideas, is jonny1bumps post easy to find? I think I’ll give it a go, it’s probably not totally needed but it’s fun making stuff so I’ll give it a try :)

Edited by Jpich85
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, baza said:

I've joined my crankcase breather with the rocker cover breather. Then this breather goes into the airbox so no separate catch tank needed.

That's pretty much std factory solution - maybe ok for emissions regulations but a) burning fumes is not as good as fuel / air and b) modified engines tend to breathe heavy and filling the airbox with oil isn't recommended ......... besides who uses airboxes anyway LOL!

• Like 1