GSX1100 E 1980 - Calliper upgrade/crank

Bazeque

Hi all,

Rebuild of the GSX is going well. WIll update my thread shortly with more up to date photos.

However, I'm looking at improving the braking. The back I probably won't touch, but I'd like to at least upgrade the front to dual pots.

I had a quick search through the forum, but think I may be blind as couldn't find anything, but I'm sure I've read before.

Anyway;

1. any recommendations on calipers that I can use to increase the braking on the bike as stock is bloody horrendous. (And considering I'll be boring it to 1280, feel it's a necessity!)

2.  Any other recommendations on what to do to the front end, whilst retaining the original forks?

3. Last question is, any recommendations on where to get hold of an adequate crank, that I can get welded? I can use my original, but will need new bearings which cost a bloody lot. I'll need to get it welded as well, as believe they're prone to twisting if you bore the engine.

Hi 

I had my forks updated to cartridge internals by Maxton. Adjustable rebound in one leg, compression in the other. Very happy with the improvement and retains the “look” of the bike of course. I think we shortened the stanchions a little whilst raising the rear too in order to improve the geometry as it is a very lazy steering head angle. The bike is still “lively” at speed though...

My standard brakes work well in the dry but I’m also looking at an upgrade to Brembo 2-pots as they seem to be a reasonable upgrade and readily available. AP Lockheed would work well too I’m sure. 

If anyone has ideas for getting some nice mounting brackets machined up, I’d like to hear about it.

Edited by wrx03ppp

What is it about the standard brakes that you find "horrendous"?

If they're working properly then the only improvement that can be made is to prolonged or repeated braking. Under those circumstances fitting brakes that dissipate the heat more quickly will keep the braking efficiency up for longer.

If it's stopping hard and fast in an emergency, then it's impossible to do any better than stock brakes. The tyre's grip on the road will be the limiting factor as the brakes are more than capable of locking the wheel.

• Like 1

I suppose most 4 pots can be made to fit. Directly, by 'massaging' either the caliper or fork mounting points. Or by shimming in or out. If the caliper(s) you've found need mounting brackets to fix to the forks, tape a length of welding wire to the outer circumference of the disc, to give caliper clearance. Position caliper in preferred position, against wire. A big help here is adapting a banjo bolt to take an airline fitting. Apply air, and caliper will remain in place while you make your cardboard template. It goes without saying, you need to make sure the wheel doesn't turn whilst you're doing this! 

Edit: You could also rig up and use the bikes hydraulics as opposed to air. Just sayin'! ;)

Edited by Swiss Toni
  • Like 1

Thanks for the ideas Swiss and will certainly help with making up the templates. I was thinking more about the fabrication aspects... my friend bought online some lovely CNC milled brackets for attaching 4 pot Brembos to his Bandit-XR69 tribute. 

I have no problem upgrading brakes to improve power, feel, wet weather performance and to exploit the grip of modern rubber which far exceeds the stuff we used back in the day. I’ve some 18” wheels to fit for this purpose.  I love seeing and do own “factory correct and original” bikes but it does seem to be in our nature to want to try and improve or individualise our bikes. 

Edited by wrx03ppp
19 hours ago, imago said:

What is it about the standard brakes that you find "horrendous"?

If they're working properly then the only improvement that can be made is to prolonged or repeated braking. Under those circumstances fitting brakes that dissipate the heat more quickly will keep the braking efficiency up for longer.

If it's stopping hard and fast in an emergency, then it's impossible to do any better than stock brakes. The tyre's grip on the road will be the limiting factor as the brakes are more than capable of locking the wheel.

It's more the stopping distance is seriously bad. 120 ft at 60 mph. I guess I'm more used to modern bikes which seem to be far better. I just want something with a little more oomph, especially considering the weight of the bike. 2 pots would be more than adequate I feel.

The problem is, it doesn't stop hard and fast in an emergency.

1 hour ago, Bazeque said:

It's more the stopping distance is seriously bad. 120 ft at 60 mph. I guess I'm more used to modern bikes which seem to be far better. I just want something with a little more oomph, especially considering the weight of the bike. 2 pots would be more than adequate I feel.

The problem is, it doesn't stop hard and fast in an emergency.

Well that gives you the option of sorting out the standard brakes to get them working properly as well as the option of swapping them for more modern stuff. I guess it'll come down to what is the quickest/easiest/cheapest option.

Just bear in mind, if you only swap the calipers you won't gain anything other than getting it to the point you would have with properly sorted standard brakes. To improve on that you'd need to change the whole kit master cyl, lines, calipers, and discs . Then you'd need to swap wheel to get better rubber to road grip so that you could make the most of the brake upgrade.