Modern Brake Calipers on 79 GS 750E

Hi Gang,

I'll be riding my 79 GS750E this season more than my other bike, and the right front brake caliper has been "slightly" weeping brake fluid on the rotor for the past couple of summers.

I've rebuilt both of the front calipers a while ago and they both have new pistons & seals but the right caliper just won't keep a tight seal (for whatever reason)

and I'm done messing with it. I may have taken off too much inner diameter material when I cleaned it.....I have no idea.

At any rate, I've been scouring the internet looking for a more modern set of  front calipers that I can just bolt right on without a hassle or any modification work, and I seem to be striking out.

If any of you custom experts out there that may have already done something like this, and knows where to source such a set of calipers (if they exist) could steer me in the right direction, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.....

I think you may be out of luck on this one without spending lots of cash, and going to say Billet calipers , not cheep.

The old (in the day) was getting some Lockheed calipers that where made for the gs range.

The only other thing to do is have some mounting plates made for a set of calipers of your choice.

If you're ok with staying with standard calipers I've put latter gs850 calipers on early gs1000 before strate swop.

• Like 2

I used SV650/Bandit 600 calipers with adaptor plates and 300mm discs (I used RS250 Aprilia, have also done a couple of sets for use with VFR800 discs), Busa1300 on here did same calipers with stock rotors and adaptor plates. We used the 2 piston floaters because 4 piston calipers won't clear the wire wheel spokes (4 pistons may be ok on cast wheels though)

Have a look at this thread.

Edited by Gammaboy
  • Like 1

Yes, as other things got in the way (building a house, a baby) I didn't do that modification yet but still planning to. However I will probably first mount some EFE calipers and discs for now. 

I would like to fit 4pots as I have casted wheels

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2019 at 1:09 PM, wraith said:

I think you may be out of luck on this one without spending lots of cash, and going to say Billet calipers , not cheep.

The old (in the day) was getting some Lockheed calipers that where made for the gs range.

The only other thing to do is have some mounting plates made for a set of calipers of your choice.

If you're ok with staying with standard calipers I've put latter gs850 calipers on early gs1000 before strate swop.

I was thinking the same thing and judging from most of the replies it looks like I won't be able to get away with some simple bolt-on deal where I'm done in 20 minutes or so. It's ok though because all of you guys gave a lot of great suggestions and I'll use everybody's input to put something together.

Thanks for the reply....

• Like 1
On 4/29/2019 at 7:14 PM, Gammaboy said:

I used SV650/Bandit 600 calipers with adaptor plates and 300mm discs (I used RS250 Aprilia, have also done a couple of sets for use with VFR800 discs), Busa1300 on here did same calipers with stock rotors and adaptor plates. We used the 2 piston floaters because 4 piston calipers won't clear the wire wheel spokes (4 pistons may be ok on cast wheels though)

Have a look at this thread.

Thanks for the reply.........nice thread

On 4/30/2019 at 4:26 AM, Jelly said:

Yes, as other things got in the way (building a house, a baby) I didn't do that modification yet but still planning to. However I will probably first mount some EFE calipers and discs for now. 

I would like to fit 4pots as I have casted wheels

Thanks for the reply, and good luck with your project......