Rattling noise

Dixie

I too am a bit OCD and suffer from rattle paranoia despite 10 years of intensive Guzzi therapy in the 90's and it never goes away - fancy starting a support group?

Does yours sound anything like the one in this video? This guy recons it was a worn cam bucket - he's got another clip with the bike sounding a bit quieter after replacing some buckets. Somebody comments it could be linked to the starter clutch.

Mine's not quite as bad as this but sounds something similar, has done for the last three years, I've stopped worrying about this one......

No mine's less frequent but regular, as if theres one spot on the cam chain that hits something every revolution of the chain, if you rev it, it goes away, its just on tick over.  The  bloke looking at it on Thursday suggested a bucket.  If I get chance I'll try to video it and post it but I'm about to leave for a fews days away working.  Lets see what he's got to say Thursday, but as per Swiss Toni, its already driving me up the wall and I can't rest until I find what it is.

14 minutes ago, Dixie said:

No mine's less frequent but regular......

In which case it's almost certainly camshaft end float. Are you willing to strip the top end just to confirm what everyone is telling you anyway?

BTW that chap's noise was horrendous and his buckets clearly worn, never seen one that bad. I would say that 750 had missed more than a few oil changes!

Morning mate, Spoke to my mate this morning and they found a shim from another Jap bike, not prepared to say which one in case i get slated for using foul language, but they make guitars and pianos, so they've changed that and one of the buckets is not rotating as smoothly as the others.  Also, they have found a mark on one of the cam lobes and think it looks like its been dropped, probably by the monkey who used the wrong shim.  No mention of end play, but i'm popping up there this afternoon and they are ordering a bucket so fingers crossed.

Afternoon All.  OK I've just got back from visiting my sick GS and the prognosis is good.  The unmentionable named shim is a lot different to the Suzuki one which replaced it and could have been responsible for the noise.  The cam bucket is noticbley more restricted in its movements so a new one is being delivered Tuesday and the even better news is there is no issue with the cam end float.  The damage to the cam lobe is being sorted so fingers crossed will get it back next week all sorted. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all your suggestions and advice it's been well received.:tu

• Like 1

Im still waiting to hear from the garage, although its looking promising.  As its a mates place I can't nag too much but I've been promised it back this week, so a soon as I know I'll post the news.  Been working flat out so haven't had time to enjoy the weather anyway.

Evening Folks, finally the GS arrived back home this evening with no rattle, more responsive and smoother, what a difference.  The problem was down to a cam bucket not rotating smoothly and a Y#m#h# shim fitted instead of a Suzuki one.  Apparently, back in the day some 'can't be arsed mechanic' would bang a Yam shim in if thats all they had, although they are the same size the Suzuki shim has a chamfered edge where as the Yam one doesn't.  Cam end float is fine and it pulls like a train at 6000rpm.  I'll video it running at the weekend and post it.

Thanks to you all for your help, assistance, patience and no doubt piss taking, but it was worth exploring and the wait, can't wait to crack on using it now.(y):D:banana: 

• Like 4