Recommend Me Some 18" Slabby tyres

kja.busa

I'd be a fool not to recommend Continental. Phase 1 use their rubber, works for us as they're full Radials, so you can lean on them a bit harder than other stuff. They build everything from workman like right up to SC2 which is race spec. 

Conti seem to be the only people working on 18" development. True that Road Riders are modern rubber developments of Road Runners that were ubiquitous back in the day and I always trusted Metzeler particularly for wet riding, but times have moved on.

• Like 1

I'd be a fool not to recommend Continental. Phase 1 use their rubber, works for us as they're full Radials, so you can lean on them a bit harder than other stuff. They build everything from workman like right up to SC2 which is race spec. 

Conti seem to be the only people working on 18" development. True that Road Riders are modern rubber developments of Road Runners that were ubiquitous back in the day and I always trusted Metzeler particularly for wet riding, but times have moved on.

I run the "CR" compound Road Attacks - they're classic endurance race compound ones - they're excellent as a sticky road tyre. Haven't tried the non race compound Contis, so can't comment on them.

I know some guys swear by Avon AM22s i think they are - but I have no experience with them.

AM22 more reassuring in the wet, cross-plies, and somehow move the geometry around that little bit, so that you can chuck them if for the wet and they'll work. Guessing that the construction kind of  'finds' a damper setting that you don't have to guess as well.

Stck somebody fast on it though and the Conti is still the quicker tyre, though as it cools down, you're better with a slightly harder compound that has more Silicon it it to hold/generate the heat.

You guys have any take on Avon storm 3d x-m?

They offer a 160/80ZR-18 as oppose to everyone else's 160/60-18. An 80% profile means taller sidewall which means less roll over tuck of the wider tire(tyre for you limey blokes). I'm in the same boat right now with kja.busa, I'm about to be on the outs with the 18's and use those on my gs bikes, and slap some cavity 17's on my 1100 instead....