1100WP definative noisy alternator fix?

Hello peeps,   I've been hanging out in the air-cooled section for a while now but will be spending some time over here as from the weekend when I pick up my new 1100WP to sit along side my aircooled GSX.

However I'm advised it has a noisy alternator and after much research I can't seem to find a definitive proper fix, there was mention on another forum of making a new aluminium bush but I 'm not sure how well that would work with a steel shaft running directly in it.  Since I don't have the bike yet I can't investigate further I wondered if anyone here has dealt with this already and if so how?

Cheers in advance,

16 hours ago, NorthernBloke said:

Thanks, do you know what years early and later models refer to?  The bike arrived today so will take a look when I get chance.

the w/c motors from 92-98 models will fit. rf900,750,600 and of coarse the 1100 w/c. (tho they may be rated for different amps)the older oil cooled ones won't fit. but the altenators are noisey on these models. as wombat say's just check the rubbers and play on the shaft. if that checks out ok there maybe some play on the bearing under the cover where the alt goes in.

link below for referance.

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/l/suz/50d3ce02f870021958f28413/1993-gsx-r1100w-parts

• 1 month later...

Update;

Had chance to strip the bike down and investigate the noises coming from the alternator area and I'm not really any wiser.

The alternator spins freely and quietly by hand and has no discernible play in it so that seems fine, so I pulled the drive gear housing and pulled out what I believe to be the starter clutch assembly and it seems generally fine with the rubber dampers all appearing to be in good condition. if you twist the gears there is a millimetre or two's movement at the outside of the gear which is the dampers clearance similar to cush drive rubbers.   I've stripped it down further and the only thing I can find is that when spinning or turning the largest gear shown in the picture ( which incidentally will only move in one direction ) it is notchy and slow to turn, so I'm not sure if this is correct or not or if its the source of the noise, any ideas?

Gears.jpg

Gears1.jpg

Edited by NorthernBloke
update

I think its sorted !

I decided to replace the whole starter clutch assembly with a supposedly good used unit anyway it arrived today and this one seems much better than mine in that you can spin it without any notchiness or noise, its silent and smooth.  So I expect that this will get rid of the whining noise that I had before.

I can't test it yet as there is other work to do before I can get it running again but fingers crossed.

• Like 1