Worn cam lobe

sk1200

4 hours ago, sk1200 said:

I did what you said and still does not turn over. Is it possible that I bent a valve or two on the first cylinder when I tightened the cam journals and something 'moved'? :D

Have a look with a torch, you can normally see where the c.chain is bunched, you should be able to free the chain by supporting it (pulling it slightly) and rocking the crank at the starter clutch, or ignition pick up end - don't force anything though. I think the B1200 engine has a hyvo c.chain, which might make this more difficult - but should still work with everything cleared out of the way.

The other guys have already said about the unlikely even of bending anything, it'll just be the chain by the crank .chain drive.... not enough of this possibility is said in various manuals.

I'm sure it'll free sk - just don't put too much force to free it, the chains are pretty strong though.

Ok after a lot of grief, I pulled out the rocker arms and put the replacement camshaft back in, and tried to spin it. It is not moving. Swapped over to my original journals - it is moving nicely!

So the good thing is, I did not bend any valves or generally screw anything up. The bad news is, I cannot use this new camshaft since its journals are messed up (they dont look messed up at all btw).

So here is the fun one! Do I risk putting my old journals on this new cam and running it, or try to source a good cam with good journals?

3 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

you should ALWAYS use the journals which come with the head. They are line-bored in the factory.

So if you use a new camshaft, always use the old journals, matching the head.

Haha okay thats where my inexperience came in and ruined the day- I did not know that. Thank you thank you thank you.

I apologize to everyone for bugging you all with this throughout the process but I hope when another young newbie comes looking for answers, he or she will be able to avoid my mistake. =))

I will post when she is back to happily buzzing away!