Advice on my first project

Shed_guy

Hi guys I'm after some advice plz. I'm in need of a longer swingarm and shock for my naked 1995 gsx600f project.

The picture is the original set back 1.5 inches so close to what the 750 would look like. My issue is I need a longer shock too as I'm fitting gsxr750 forks and yoke. I had thought of a Rf900 but it doesn't look muck longer to my eyes.

I want to fit a fatter tyre eventually but atm it's not a priority. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

20180905_180333.jpg

You want shorter 'dog bones';  the linkage pair of thingies that connect the 'knuckle' , that the lower shock mount bolts to, and the swingarm.  That will jack up the back a bit, a small difference in the length of the dog bones will make a big difference to rear ride height.   That will also increase the rate the spring compresses, effectively giving more preload and firming things right up.   You dont want a longer shock, it needs to be the same length to fit.     I think in the 'vault' on this site is a table with lots of fork options and their lengths, id say concentrate on that first then get it together back on the road and do the rear end swap after a few miles.  That looks pretty cool sat with no fairing :tu Maybe keep an eye out for a cheap seven fifty motor to keep ready to go in :ph34r:

• 4 months later...
On 9/8/2018 at 9:11 PM, richyrich said:

You want shorter 'dog bones';  the linkage pair of thingies that connect the 'knuckle' , that the lower shock mount bolts to, and the swingarm.  That will jack up the back a bit, a small difference in the length of the dog bones will make a big difference to rear ride height.   That will also increase the rate the spring compresses, effectively giving more preload and firming things right up.   You dont want a longer shock, it needs to be the same length to fit.     I think in the 'vault' on this site is a table with lots of fork options and their lengths, id say concentrate on that first then get it together back on the road and do the rear end swap after a few miles.  That looks pretty cool sat with no fairing :tu Maybe keep an eye out for a cheap seven fifty motor to keep ready to go in :ph34r:

Sorry for the very late reply Rich I didnt see this till just now.

I have thought about the shorter dogbones but I dont have a welder so not a cut and weld situation.  Following some advice on forks the cbr600 f3 forks (I believe) are 41mm and have full adjustment so I may well go with those although I do have a bottom yoke for a gsxr750.  With Christmas just gone funds are an issue atm so Im going to be looking at these upgrades in the coming months.