Thoughts on 5* timing advancer?

My GSX750F is the U.S. model and has, to my understanding, the 4 degree advance. Been reading a little about the ignition advancers and was wondering if you all thought it was worth it?

Factory Pro seems to be NLA (unless someone knows a source). Theirs is 3 degrees, if I can find one.

Holeshot has one for the Bandit 600/1200 and I'm told that the Teapot uses the same advancer. Is that true? (Also, if you look in the LH column, they list the Katana 600/750 ...U.S. site, so sorry for using the K word wrongly...but they do NOT list an advancer for it).

http://www.holeshot.com/suzuki/bandit/600-1200/products/timing-advancer

Thoughts and other sources? I've also read about elongating the holes and doing it yourself, but not knowing exactly what I have makes me uncomfortable.

This is what I've found about the D.I.Y. method, as well as some pics online. Save the $50-60 USD and do it myself?

Adjustable Ignition Advancer

To make your own ignition advancer is easy and it's FREE.

Step 1: Remove the lower fairing and front/right engine cover.
Step 2: Remove the rotor by removing the bolt in the center with a 6mm hexagon wrench.
Step 3: Remove the 3 screws holding the ignition plate and loosen the plate.
Step 4: Enlarge the bolt holes in clockwise direction.
Step 5: Reinstall the plate and rotor (rotor bolt torque 25-34Nm 18-25.5lbft).
Step 6: Twist the plate in counterclockwise direction and tighten the 3 screws.
Step 7: Reinstall the engine cover and fairing.
Step 8: Go for a testride.

So, how much should you enlarge the holes and twist the plate? Well the advance should be 3-5° and 1° is almost exactly 1mm on the edge of the plate. So enlarge the holes about 5mm. The best way to find the optimum setting is to dynotest the bike and try different settings. The advance units you can by have usually a fixed setting of 5°. Be weary carefully not to over do it and listen for engine "pre detonation" which usually occurs at low RPM, high gear and high load. On an otherwise low tuned engine you could expect about 1-2 Hp in the midrange.

Edited by scott-s

If you want to do it, do the DIY route and save your self some money, I would put a scribe mark on the plate and engine before loosening the 3 screws, just to make sure I could put it back to standard, and also use the mark to set the advance with a protractor.

Yes, in the States.

I also have the '00 engine with the TPS, but I'll be eliminating that and using the earlier '95 BST-36 carbs. Don't know if that TPS stuff matters when doing the advancer thing. I've been told to unplug it and forget it.