First Ride Out

Dixie

Hi All, well the weather picked up for a day and I took the GS out for its first ride, see pic below.  Anyway, all went smoothly, clutch is a bit heavy so I need to look at that and I would like to upgrade the front brake, I was wondering if new pads would do the trick.  I think the carbs need a bit of a balance, but it's rideable.  It was great to just cruise around and the smile didn't stop.  Away working this week but hoping to get out again soon.  Staffordshire Classic Bike Show in just over a week so thats the next big run, anybody going?  It amazed me how much attention the bike got whilst I was out.

IMG_1067.jpg

• Like 5
19 hours ago, Dixie said:

Hi All, well the weather picked up for a day and I took the GS out for its first ride, see pic below.  Anyway, all went smoothly, clutch is a bit heavy so I need to look at that and I would like to upgrade the front brake, I was wondering if new pads would do the trick.

Probably, but don't expect too much. Those calipers and discs aren't up to much by modern standards. Best to ride within its abilities.

Be careful with upgrading...you might end up with something like mine! I started with GS1000 forks and brakes, and one thing led to another.

I also took mine out for it's first blast the other evening. After riding my winter bike (BMW R65) for the last few months it felt like a rocket on rails! :D

BTW, on my other GS, a standard 1000S, I made the brakes better by moving the lever/master cylinder inwards on the bars as far as they would go. They moved about 1/2" or so, just enough to alter where you pull the lever, so you get more mechanical advantage. Works ok, not sure if it's possible on the 750.

Edited by gs7_11

Nice one, thanks for the heads up.  I haven't had any scares yet, probably due to as you say, ride within the limits of the bike. To be fair I'm enjoying the plodding about. I'll have a look at the master cylinder. Don't want to mod it too much, I like the standard feel.(y)

• Like 1

the early bikes came with spoked wheels and single front disc....and its not that clean... looks better in the pics than real life...it was originally blue but resprayed by previous owner in this suzuki blue...their just a nice old bike to have....they dont come up for sale to often in fairly standard condition.... not in ireland anyway...

Mine's an ex-dutch bike and I felt was good for the money, I paid 2500 and I was surprised how well it handles for an old bike.  Did 100 miles on it today and it didn't miss a beat.  a bit thirsty though I thought, managed 100 miles on 18 quids worth.  Took the plugs out at the weekend and they were all sooted up, only put them in about 50 miles or so before, not sure if the carbs need balancing or the valve stem seals are stuffed.

should nt be that thirsty on juice... but probably an easy fix to get it sorted....as long as the engine is strong everything else can be sorted...their no sports bike but go pretty well...they  look good... their getting hard to come by.... and older guys will always stop and have a chat about having 1 back in the day...and their only gonna go up in value...so its a win win situation.....

Indeed, was going to cafe racer this one but as its all there I will restore it either this coming winter or the winter after, I've got an old mini I'm restoring with my son as his first car.  Until then just enjoy I reckon, I've been amazed at the interest it gets.  Anyway enjoy the summer and keep safe bud.:tu

4 hours ago, Dixie said:

Indeed, was going to cafe racer this one........

Aaaargh! Glad you changed your mind (y) That's too good and complete as you say.

As regards the fuel consumption, have you checked the air filter? If all 4 plugs are sooty, it must be something that affects all the cylinders. A manky or over-oiled filter does this.

A good general service and clean/set up the carbs will help.