1100M carb rebuild kits - what do people use?

Nick

What are people using when doing carb rebuilds, please?  

Gonna have the 40mm CVs off and give them a strip and rebuild, but there seems to be an abundance of different o ring kits around?  Genuine Suzuki stuff isnt cheap, but I have had bad experiences with aftermarket kits fitting poorly or swelling on other bikes so wondered what people are using with good results?

Thanks in advance...

On 22/03/2018 at 12:31 PM, Wee Man said:

I've always bit the bullet when comes to stuff like this and bought genuine. Hurts the pockets though:(

Thanks, Wee Man - yeah, that's what I was afraid of!  Anyone had much success sourcing viton o rings from a supplier by size and using them?  With OE stuff being the cost it is, there must be a market for it?!

• Like 1

I used a seal company on the bidding site - just nitrile o rings, not had a problem, you can get loads as spares for the price of one Suzuki one. On my carbs the bowl gasket has always been fine, I just wipe some rubber grease on it (after quick clean) - I've changed the pilot screw seals, float valve seals and the emulsion tube one too. I bought some emulsion tubes/ needle jets from Allen's performance a few years back (originals look pretty good though) - apart from jetting changes for changes I made to the bike, that's it. The original seals are nitrile, I think Viton is better for higher temperatures, nitrile is fine with fuel and oil.

Here's something I saved from the internet that was helpful.

Carb seal sizes Idle Mixture Screw o-ring 3 x 1mm or 2.5 x 1mm I saw in a previous posting that the idle mixture screw uses a 3mm x 1mm. That's the same size I measured too, though Ohffs used a 2.5 x 1mm which sounds like a good idea to ensure a snug fit. Diaphragm o-ring (air seal at the top cap) 4 x 1mm inner diameter = 4.0386mm cross section = 1mm These next ones I'm really not sure about, I don't want any gas leaking past of course... Small o-ring on floats 5.5 x 1.5mm or 6 x 1.5mm ??? inner diameter = 5.8928mm The part of the float it fits on was measured at 5.8928mm. Should I go 5.5 or 6mm here? cross section = 1.27mm - 1.3208mm (seems to have flattened out a bit). I'm guessing this should be 1.5mm?? Large o-ring on floats 7.5 x 1.5mm ??? inner diameter = 7.493mm part of the float it fits on is 7.6708mm cross section = 1.4732mm Slide guide o-ring near emulsion tube 10 x 1.5mm or 10.5 x 1.5mm ??? inner diameter = 10.668mm part of the guide it fits on was 10.4394mm cross section = 1.2192mm - 1.4732mm (was flattened a bit)

• Like 3