intermitant electrical fault

martyngsxr

doing some work on the 750l on the weekend replacing the leaking oil cooler did that and then refilled the oil etc went to start after and no spark. i hadnt touched the electrics apart from turning the ignition off and on so i started checking most things and everything seems to check out but still no spark unplugged the ignition switch and bridged it to see if it was the switch still no spark. spoke to a friend who is really good with electrics and we went through most things and it all seemed to check out fine even swapped out the cdi and still no spark. by this time i was pissed right off and the battery was flat so put it on charge and left it until the next day went to start and it started on the the button so i put it all back together then the spark disappeared again getting a tiny bit pissed of with it now the only difference since it starting and not is the ignition switch my thinking is if its the switch the engine wouldnt even turn over 

Not for ignition, no... But for some lighting yes (tail light iirc).

First up..... Check your battery, you should be seeing 10V while engine turning over otherwise it won't spark. Seen this several times, one where 2 guys had spent days trying to figure why a bike wouldn't start. 2 mins to swap battery with mine and fired straight up..........

As your starter is working, you have power to the kill switch, so check the orange/white which runs from kill switch, powers both coils and the CDI, I have had breaks in the wiring to the switch gear before now.

As a test, jump a wire from battery and power the orange/white circuit and should fire straight up, hold the wire battery end rather than hard wire it.

When it turns over on the starter, if everything is connected proper there Should be a spark while its turning. So the ignition switch wont affect whether the spark sparks, if it turns over....

What does the spark look like when it works? 

From what you said,  the battery charge mightve made the difference. Like suzook12 said if the battery doesnt have enough juice at startup, the spark would be too weak.  Different when running cos the juice comes from the alternator.