Gsx550 Engine / gearbox woes :(

Sadly it seems ive bought a bit of a lemon and the gearbox on my 87 gsx550e is snookered !!!!

Second hand engines look to be slim pickings but are there any other models whos engines would slot right in place ? Ive noticed 2 engines for sale on the bay of E but i think theyre from 85 models, anyone have any experience with compatability of these engines from year to year ?

You would have to check the engine number to see if it is within the same model designation as your original unit. Maybe have to do some internet trawling to find that, Engine number maybe starts GN02? If the engine number series is the same then apart from subtle electrical differences they should be the same. But the last thing you want to end up with is an expensive doorstop........Maybe think about original airbox too if there is still room to fit. I remeber the carbs on these being complete twa*ts:pimp: 

14 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Maybe a 600 bandit would be a relatively easy conversion but you would need electrics and carbs and a pipe too

I bought a complete, 750 teapot for £300 that would be perfect if you could find a cheap 600 or 750 teapot that would be perfect for ya

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Fin170703 said:

Sadly it seems ive bought a bit of a lemon and the gearbox on my 87 gsx550e is snookered !!!!

Second hand engines look to be slim pickings but are there any other models whos engines would slot right in place ? Ive noticed 2 engines for sale on the bay of E but i think theyre from 85 models, anyone have any experience with compatability of these engines from year to year ?

What wrong with gearbox?

1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

What wrong with gearbox?

Under hard acceleration it slips, similar to dipping the clutch to wheelie etc.

Mechanic tokd me it just wouldnt be cost effective to strip and rebuild.

Looks liek ill have to spend an evening looking into transplants. Im not really bothered about performance so i direct swap would be preferable 

9 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Did you check for spark? also was it just an engine or did you get carbs as well, seem to recall you having issue with carburettion! 

Yeah had a spark but seemed weak !

Used the carbs that came with the engine too

Im hoping it just needs some fettling as it turned over just fine