front master cylinder rebuild kit how to do

katana11

folks,

i need a bit of help here,i have an 1982 katana 1100 and the front master cylinder is leaking badly,i casn buy a rebuild kit on Eblag for 20 or 30 pounds, so i tried to remove the old stuff today and im not getting very far, i have removed the front rubber which i think is just to protect from dust,next i removed the circlip,now im stuck, i cant seem to see another rubber and the shaft will not pull out, is there any info here on it ,i have cleaned all around the area just cant seem to see another rubber which the manual says there is ?,thanks again lads 

There will be a seal on the plunger. Best to soak it for a while in some kind of penertrating stuff. You may need to heat it up gently. When you get it out check the bore for corrosion if it is really tight to get out. Also soak the new seal in brake fluid before fitting 

Edited by Fazz711
  • Like 1

So, is the piston stuck in the MS? If so, and you have no movement whatever, get an alloy drift, (or any drift, as you'll be renewing the piston and seals anyway). Tap the piston into the cylinder until it free's off, and bounces on the spring. Withdraw piston, clean cylinder out with Meths, then brake fluid. Fit new seals to piston after immersion in brake fluid, making sure seals point the right way, or fit new piston assy. Fit new washer and circlip,(grease washer and clip for easy removal next time). Fit dust seal. Red Rubber Grease is a good idea here to prevent water ingress! There you go, Robert's your Mothers Brother!  (y)

• Like 1

There's a captive washer that acts as a seat for the circlip. If you 'wiggle' the piston, whilst pulling on it, it'll come out, and all will be revealed! There will be a rubber seal on the piston.  Below the piston, will be a tapered spring, with a rubber cap. Cap goes next to piston when re-fitting. 

image.jpg

Edited by Swiss Toni
Forgot me piksha!
3 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

There's a captive washer that acts as a seat for the circlip. If you 'wiggle' the piston, whilst pulling on it, it'll come out, and all will be revealed! There will be a rubber seal on the piston.  Below the piston, will be a tapered spring, with a rubber cap. Cap goes next to piston when re-fitting. 

image.jpg

thanks Toni,it worked a treat mate i will clean the cylinder walls and re fit a new rebuild kit ,by the way she fired up tonight first time in 12 years happy out sooo close now mate,just tidy up the wiring and tune the carbs ,plenty of pics next week,just in from the man cave,her indoors has a face of war on her hahaha has to be done,thanks again mate