Copperslipping head nuts

Sheep

Using copperslip or similar on cylinder head nuts,what's the general consensus on this?(I use it everywhere on 'normal' applications)

Some say yes as it aids the accurate torquing of nuts,others say no as it makes it less accurate due to over tightening caused through less friction on the threads...

My thoughts are that the torque wrench should work as intended with or without thread lubricant.but dry,stiff threads could cause inaccurate readings,no?....in the past I have always used a dab of oil.

Not that it makes any difference but its for an GSX1100....

• Like 1

Alllways lube alll threads, except those on bolts you're applying loctite to to keep them from undoing as mentioned in the service manual.

Yup, torque settings are said to be for dry bolt/nut applications, but especially for head nuts you may want to undo them some time in the future.. So lube.. Always lube.. On head nuts, on plugs, on engine cover bolts, exhaust bolts, etc.. I use moly (molybdenum disulfide) grease on engine bolts/nuts (execept for the loctited ones mentioned before), and regular bearing grease on everything else (spindles!).. Never had a stuck bolt on my own bikes..

34 minutes ago, Fazz711 said:

Lubricated threads require a different torque setting 

Hmm.. Fair point.. Perhaps sticking to the lower end of a torque setting range on lubed application is the way to go.. Using grease on threads will prevent wearing them out though, and so -in good condition- should be able to handle larger loads than worn out (dry) ones.. o.O Well, that's my view.. :D

• Like 2