APE valve guides

yves072

First of all I'm new to this forum and I'm starting to rebuild a gs1000E engine.

I have to overhaul the valve head and I'm thinking to use the APE  bronze valve guides. I see in the garage repair manual that there is a difference between the intake valve guide and the exhaust valve guide. When I have a look at the APE kit they are all the same, no difference in shape between the 2.  Has anybody some experience with these?

1 hour ago, wraith said:

Hi and welcome.

I used them in my gs1000 motor but that's got APE HD springs and MTC under bucket shim kit etc, as the standard would interfere, but YJ is the man I would say to ask.

Hey thanks,

Do you mean the shim above bucket won't go with the APE valve guides?  The APE HD springs are also planned in the overhaul. 

Guest YoshiJohnny
On 23/10/2016 at 5:46 PM, yves072 said:

First of all I'm new to this forum and I'm starting to rebuild a gs1000E engine.

I have to overhaul the valve head and I'm thinking to use the APE  bronze valve guides. I see in the garage repair manual that there is a difference between the intake valve guide and the exhaust valve guide. When I have a look at the APE kit they are all the same, no difference in shape between the 2.  Has anybody some experience with these?

Get the APE kit but it's a bit of a specialized job to fit them, speak to Nick at SPS http://www.suzukiperformancespares.co.uk for the guides. Don't know where you are but I use Weir St Engineering in Blackburn to fit them and recut the valve seats to match

YJ

@YoshiJohnny The valve guides I already have from SPS and a specialized machine shop is going the place them for me and  recut the valve seats together with new valves. But I was having a look at garage manual and saw that there is a difference in shape between the intake and exhaust valve guides. The APE guides are all the same shape, I presume that's not a problem? 

Guest YoshiJohnny

Won't be a problem at all, if they are stuck out a mile into the port for some reason they can be trimmed down but unless you are going racing it won't matter.