new to superchargers, could do with some advice please

ok long time not posted as ive been without a laptop. 

ive had a play with turbo's and ive got my head around that ok so now i fancy doing a supercharged beasty. basicaly what im looking for is addvice on a basic setup for the road. not masive power but more a project to get my head around how the whole setup works. things like

what order do the main components go in?

what is the best basic charger to use? (usability and cost)

i asume the fuel setup would be about the same as a turbo setup ( fpr, fuel pump, vacume pipes from the plenum ect)

do you need a bov valve? 

just basic things like that realy. 

and if someone has one a basic diagram on how the basics go together would be awesome, as the old saying goes "a picture is worth a thousand words" any help would be much appreciated cheers.

Well, based on my limited experience with superchargers I would make it as blow through system. So charger - plenum - carbs or throttle bodies - engine. Traditionally supercharger setups are often doen as draw through but it can be a bit tricky to get good and predictable throttle response with that, especially if volume between the charger and engine can't be kept minimal. With blow through you definitely need a BOV valve.

As usual charger selection depends on your power target, budget etc. If you are trying to keep budget low then the most obvious choice is a second hand unit off from some car. Those are usually roots type Eatons with some odd exceptions. With larger budget you can start thinking if you want a roots charger or centrifugal one or even screw type one. Each one has their own pros and cons.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, freekspeed said:

Cheers fella that's the kind of info I was looking for. So basically it's the same setup as a turbo system but driven off the crank and not the exhaust. 

Yes, basically the same than turbo regarding air and fuel arrangements. Getting reliable drive from crank is often the tricky part.

Blower1 is definitely knows a thing or two how to make a supercharged bike to work. He has evolved his setup quite a lot over the years. I have had a privilege to test ride his bike few times in different configurations. First one with draw through setup was quite horrible for street use but in current form it behaves really well.