Setting valve clearance

Andyb

Hi. Setting the clearance on the valves is proving to be a pain. Haynes says do it either upright or horizontal (left or right) depending on inlet / exhaust.  Okay so I get a reading of 0.09mm, which is too much, 0.03 - 0.08mm is the range.  I'm sure I have read go towards the larger gap, but could be wrong. Anyway, how do I get the shim out without removing the cams again?

All the gaps vary between 0.03 and 1.04mm   I know the size of shims within the engine, and think I can move a couple around to decrease the high reading and increase the low.

Where can I get shims at a reasonable price?

TIA

Andy

There is a tool to compress the valve in site enough to pick the shim out but you need to add one back in or the bucket will hit the cam face - not goo. Also run the risk of tool slipping and sending the shim into orbit! Best measure all, take cams out, measure shims - rearrange and buy what you need or find a suzuki dealer with a shim set and ask nicely if you can exchange some at a discount on buying new! Your lucky my M head came with no shims at all - Suzuki price x 16! Ouch!

Hope 1.04mm was a typo LOL!

• Like 1