1100EFE Oil leak from head gasket

matt

Hi all, 

I have done a few miles on my EFE but have noticed oil seaping out of the head gasket on both sides of the motor, I have checked the front of the engine to make sure it is not leaking there and being blown round the side, but that is all dry.

I hoped that it may just need the head nuts re-torquing, but have just checked them and they are all  40Nm as the manual states.

The engine is running a 1230 kit with a cometic gasket, should these be installed differently to the standard gasket with a maybe a higher torque on the head nuts?

I have the standard studs installed, so dont want to over tighten them.

If anyone can advise that will be great.

Cheers

Matt.

6 hours ago, matt said:

The engine is running a 1230 kit with a cometic gasket, should these be installed differently to the standard gasket with a maybe a higher torque on the head nuts?

What type of Cometic head gasket? MLS, CFM or copper? The MLS (multi-layer steel) is rubber coated so is installed dry, the CFM-20 (sometimes incorrectly referred to as "graphite") and copper head gaskets need to be installed using (silicone) sealant at the positions where engine oil is supposed to be stopped.. So light smears around the oil/stud bores on either side, and a smear all around the cam chain tunnel.. On both sides of the gasket of course (or apply on the head and block)..

silicone-gasket.jpg

Hi, Thanks for the reply, it is the 'graphite' type, didn't use any sealant so that could well be the cause of my problem.

Is the black suzuki bond sealant alright for the job?

From previous stripdowns, the gasket isn't very reusable so may have to get a new one.

On ‎20‎-‎8‎-‎2016 at 9:19 PM, matt said:

Is the black suzuki bond sealant alright for the job?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the stuff so couldn't say for sure, but any regular somewhat decent looking silicone engine sealant sold in automotive shops *should* probably work just fine.. (I'll bet most is the same stuff sold to brands that label it as their own..) Check the spec on the tube: temp. rating, oil resistance, applications, etc.. Or in severe doubt try the stuff on something else first..

(Oh btw, forgot to mention the possible use of copper sprays for use on copper head gaskets instead of silicone sealant..)

I took the head off yesterday and the gasket was all in one piece, so I could reuse it.

The strange thing is that printed on the gasket was Victor Reinz AFM, which is a different type to what you mentioned above, but it was supplied in a Cometic packet.

Anyway, i have reinstalled it with sealant around the oilways and hopefully it will cure the oil leaks.

Hope to test it later this week.

Cheers