Carb question

Jonny

To cut a long story short: I am building a bike with a 1230cc EFE engine in it. I was planning to use the standard 36mm Mikuni carbs rejetted. Is there any advantage to using GSXr/Bandit Mikunis instead, or are they pretty much the same for my purpose?

Thanks,

Jonny

Both 36mm but the standard are round slide I think and are heavier.

Some say flat slide are better, but if you can keep the standard ones and do a Dyna run then get some gsxr carbs and do the same and you can then tell us all which is the best for shore :)

Some say there are gains to be had from a swap.. The Mikuni BST series is a step up from the BS series fitted as stock on many GSX's.. I've used BST36ss and BST38 carbs on my GSX's (before switching over to flatslides), and they do offer better performance and response once setup properly.. So you will need to have/get the carbs adjusted (not just rejetting).. Preferably  on a dyno by a reputably operator..

Long story short: GSX-R/Bandit carbs will offer better performance, BUT they need proper setting up to actually reap the benefits from a swap..

But do post your findings here like wraith suggested, so we can actually see some true data ron the supposedly better performance of the later type carbs..

Thanks Arnout!

Because money is tight (as always) if there is no great advantage I will use the GSX carbs as I have them already, and I rebuilt them before I started the project, so it is unlikely I'll spend the time and money doing it both ways. Bandit carbs seem to go for $$$ money these days too.

• 1 month later...