GSX550ES Motor/Running gear swap

So I picked this old smoker up for £400, all there and mostly original. Starts and runs well with just over 28,000 miles on her, all in all a sweet little thing. Cleaned her up and taking her for an MOT next week. I want to run it as is for the Summer complete with naff brakes, skinny rear tyre and 16" front hoop, but over the coming Winter I'd like to fit my surplus teapot 600F motor and running gear left over from my 600F/750R project. I've never seen a 550 modded and I'm not even sure if the oil boiler will even fit, if so then hopefully the running gear will? I'm trying to recreate my long gone sadly sold 750ES which had a 750J motor, braced JMC arm and Bandit 600 running gear (blue one in the pics). Has anybody done a similar build? If so any advice and pointers appreciated.

2016-05-20 16.04.36.jpg

Photo026.jpg

I was hoping to shove a complete GSX750F front end in that's kicking about in my garage and then hopefully a GSX600F or Bandit 600 swinging arm and a 150 three spoke rear wheel. Looking at the frame I'm not convinced there's enough space height wise for the 600 oil boiler out of my 600F so it may end up as a running gear mod only?

It should work the same as fitting an oil cooled engine into an earlier gs550 frame, assuming the dimensions are similar.  Normally requires removing oil pan and valve cover to get enough clearance (of course those parts go back on the engine after mounting in frame).  One of the more experienced members may have more insight.  

I've an '80 model GS550 with a GSXR1100 motor in it. It fits exactly as the oilboiler engines were based on the old 550 motor! Only downside is that the motor needs to come out even for as much as a valve clearance check. With a lower teapot 600 engine this might work out better.

I also cut out the frame rails to make room for the chain to clear on a 180 rear tyre, probably won't need that on your bike either.

I used the GSXR motor brackets and made new ones for the two located under the sides of the engine. 

AMA looks 006.jpg

• Like 1