5 minute job

Well what I thought was going to be a 5 minute job is now looking like a trip to my friendly mechanic after my accident back in September thought the exhaust was blowing found a crack in the collector. As its a micron system the down pipes are held into the collector by 4 springs so poped the springs of to swap the collector box over with a replacement I bought collector and down pipes are well and truly stuck so thought okay unbolt the system and take it off 1 and 2 cylinders bolts came out but 3 and 4 the bolt heads are that corroded that can't get a socket on there so it looks like a trip to the mechanic to get the heads drilled off and replacement installed plus stainless bolts put in and repair any damaged threads it doesn't rain it fucking pours winge over 

Okay got a friend coming over tomorrow to help with a bit of brut force and ignorance 1 and 4 bolts are out but 2 and 3 are fubarbed I think there suppose to be 13mm but there's so much corrosion there down to about 11 or 10mm if not it can fuel a good bbq yes I am getting to that point 

They are M8 size which are 13mm AF in most of the world but usually 12mm AF from Japan! When you've got them out, i'd recommend using M8 studs instead of bolts and copper or brass nuts. Three advantages, studs never have to come out and can corrode in peace, the nuts will strip first and cause no thread damage and its a damn sight easier hanging the exhaust / collets on studs whilst screwing a nut on than finding a threaded hole for a screw!

Edited by Gixer1460
  • Like 1

One trick is to weld some large nuts onto the rounded heads, the heat helps free the threads and you have the larger nuts to give more torgue when you undo them. Whatever you try, if you do get them moving only undo them a tiny bit at a time and work them out slowly, out a bit then back in a bit then out again etc. be very patient when you do this and hopefully you won't destroy the threads in the head as they come out. If not just grind the heads off nice and flat and drill them out and fit a helicoil, easy enough to do and kits are very cheap. Just be very careful you don't drill in too deep. There are oil feeds behind some of  those holes and it's all too easy to drill into them. I speak from unfortunate experience!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

They are M8 size which are 13mm AF in most of the world but usually 12mm AF from Japan! When you've got them out, i'd recommend using M8 studs instead of bolts and copper or brass nuts. Three advantages, studs never have to come out and can corrode in peace, the nuts will strip first and cause no thread damage and its a damn sight easier hanging the exhaust / collets on studs whilst screwing a nut on than finding a threaded hole for a screw!

I use stainless studs. With K nuts which are only 10mm A/F easy to get inbetween the pipes